HybridZ

Interior Upholstry

Guest EnthuZiast

Guest EnthuZiast

I'm not positive that this is the right spot, but I think you guys will be okay with it. :D

I got discouraged by how bad (cracked) the interior plastic was in my 280zx one day and I removed all of it. (for better or worse) I like the lines of the metal interior, but it definately needs to be covered. I'm thinking of lining the walls with some sort of material (suggestions?) and upholstering over. This is my one idea and I'm looking for more.

What have you guys done? What are your thoughts?

Thanks guys,

Noah

man you can reupholster everything in your car..i just had my entire back portion done on my car and it didnt cost me much either.. even if your plastics are cracked you can get them covered with vinyel of any color you want.. or you can go get some good panels from the junk yard and paint them with vinyel paint...

336708_21_full.jpg

336708_46_full.jpg

Guest EnthuZiast

Yeah, I've thought about that, but I'm just trying to come up w/ options. I like how it looks in your car! BTW, what kind of seats are those?

Noah

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
I like the lines of the metal interior, but it definately needs to be covered. I'm thinking of lining the walls with some sort of material (suggestions?) and upholstering over.

I havent done this yet but I was thinking of doing the exact same thing in my 70 Z. I was thinking of pinning a soft rubberized pad-like material to the body structure and then upholstering to that. This would give a nice smooth contoured look. Probably would also help some with sound deadening (not much tho) and might be pretty good for sound inside the car (stereo). OH! And not to mention, the material I have in mind makes a decent insulator so it will help keep the heat out and the cool in or vice versa in the winter :wink:

Feel free to PM me to compare notes

What was your cost on re uphostered seats? And what did it cost to get the rest of the car done. As a comparison if I went that route. Thanks

i paid $150 a seat..$85 a door panel and $140 for the entire back including my speaker box and refabing a new quarter interir panel..

Guest EnthuZiast

Has anyone managed to incorperate speakers into the walls of the car? I think that I have seen people put sub.s behind the rear wheels on the sides. Anyone know much about how this sounds and functions?

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this and i thought i should respond, because i have gone through and designed/built the rear deck area of my 280Z.

I added a 10" punch he2 subwoofer with a 400 or 600 watt amp, in the next couple of days i am going to be finishing it up by adding 2 6X9 speakers, and finally adding a spot for the 3.5" speakers i have.

Um... i know that some of you guys have seen my setup...

I will post pictures on tuesday or wednesday of the completed rear deck area... I am sure with empty 6X9 speaker holes...

Aside from the stereo and rear deck area, i hope to replace the seats, and i have to do something about my door panels... (i have one!)

so this is all stuff i am going to have to make. i have most of the supplies... i just need the car back outta the exaust shop.

I'm stoked,

Joe

Has anyone managed to incorperate speakers into the walls of the car? I think that I have seen people put sub.s behind the rear wheels on the sides. Anyone know much about how this sounds and functions?

Noah, as with most things, I've got a few opinions on this subject. Unless you're going to make new boxes that contour to the wheelwell on the OUTSIDE of the plastic panels, I don't think you'll get good sound. I've heard dozens of installations where someone mounted 6" or 6 x 9" speakers in the plastic panels behind the wheel tubs, and without exception they've all sounded like crap. The owners will proudly crank up the volume to show how "good" their system is, and it will get painfully loud, then distort as the poor woofers flap back and forth, shaking themselves into an early grave.

The problem is manifold: First, there is no seal behind the speakers to make for any sort of controllable resonance chamber. Second, the panels are flimsy, and without solid support the speaker baskets will move just about as much as the cone does, watering down your sound and resonating in the worst way. Third, the speakers are pointing directly at each other, and 80 degrees off axis for your ears. What high frequencies finally make it to your ears after bouncing around the cabin will be muddy and unfocused.

Whatever you choose to do, make certain that your speakers are mounted solidly into something rigid and relatively airtight.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!