HybridZ

Floorboards once again

DatsunBoy77

OK, i am just looking for a go for it mainly. I am still a novice using mig welder but i will have some good practice coming up. Does anyone think it would be safe doing your own floorboards. I fear this because being a unibody. I have seen posts of others doing this. Would it be easier doing this from inside the car instead of under? Tjhis way it would put less stress on the body than having it jacked up and doing from underneath. I also plan on using the Zedd Findings floor boards. I can get a really good deal on sheet metal for floor boards or like $24 for a 5'x3' peice. That would be cheaper than $240+shipping. Anyone have any suggestions.

I think i will go for the $20 sheets of steel. Anyone have any ideas about the frame rails under the floorboards that come with the zed fiindings and msa kits. Do they actually just replace the frame rails or just extra supports? Nyone with pics of their custom job so i can see how it should look.

Ryan

Yeah i went though that post, but i dont have a lift to do it on so i am mainly asking if anyone has attempted to do this themselves while the car is on the ground or on ramps. I figure i can do a majority while the car is on the ground to keep the chassis from twisting. Anyone have any insight to this.

And yes your post was very helpful as to how the floors should look.

Guest 240hybrid

I redid mine without a lift or rotisserie, and they came out great. I used MSA's pans that I got at a great deal through corzette(thanks again). I used a set of jack stands on the front crossmember and put concrete blocks under the rear wheels so I could get under the car. I could have supported the car at more points, but I havent notice any side effects of not doing this. The door seams are fine and they still open/close smoothly, so it didnt seem to affect anything. The rockers support alot of the car if Im not mistaken, but I did do them one at a time to keep from having too much of the car missing at one time.

I will say having the car on a rotisserie would make this job much easier....welding on your back isnt easy or too much fun having sparks rain down on you. It can be done though. I welded the pans from both sides to keep water from finding a seem and rusting them out again. I put about 43 hours into my pans to get them the way I wanted them from start to finish. One tip, make sure you dont have any flammable materials in or around the car... work safe.

Good luck Chase

i was planing on welding from the inside to keep from the welds rusting. I am also planning on using window weld selent around the seems and the por 15 them to lock out moisture. I am just going to get the sheets of metal from my work for about 40 dollars to do both floors and where ever esle i can find rust in there. I only will probably weld the floor support from underneath.

Ryan

Guest 240hybrid

Yeah I used copious amounts of seam sealer on inside and out. Auto zone carries it for $4.50 a tube. Seeing as that window caulk doesnt ever completely dry out and is made to be exposed to weather, I would think it could subsitute for seam sealer.

Chase