HybridZ

Tire Balloning

Guest Anonymous

I was considering the road surface of my Mickey Thompson rear tires and noted there is no concave shaping to offset the balooning action that they would encounter under high RPM. I reason that a calculated amount should be there in order to offset G forces that will actually cause a convex shape to form at speed on a normal tire and thus a perfect match between tread surface and road is lost!

Tire don't behave as you've described.

The concave shape you mention is not intentional on the part of a tire manufacturer. Its actually a result of less then ideal belt design and manufacture (cost savings). Very few (if any) modern steel belted tires balloon to any significant degree and the only area where tread and sidewall distortion occurs is the tire footprint itself and the areas immediatey around it.

I recommend reading "Race Car Vehicle Dynamics" by Bill and Doug Milliken or "Tune to Win" by Carroll Smith to understand tire dynamics. The Tune to Win book is considerably cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0879380713/qid=1060117996/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-8547205-3611905?v=glance&s=books

And shouldn't this be in the "Brakes, Suspension..." topic?

Guest rick458

Last year ESPN2 was using a super slo motion camera on top fuelers

and the drag slicks under hard acceleration (but not during burn out)

would be flat against the track and would come up at a 45 degree angle for about a foot so the tire literaly had two flat anlges on it

it was very bizarre looking

when the cars lost traction they would narrow up and circularize