HybridZ

Anyone running 8" coil overs in front?

If so, what rates, is your car lowered, how much, did you section the struts and does the spring perch rest above the tire. Oh yeah, what size tire? I am running a fairly tall tire and I would like to see if I can get the spring perch above the tire. 6" are very short and would not reach the strut tube and therefore the spring perch at my estimated ride height. I am about to buy coilovers and I need to know what is possible, I asked Ross about why sectioning is necessary with the coil overs but still haven't heard back. It seems to me that by sectioning the struts you lose the possibility of having the spring perch above the tire. Right now I only have 2" of strut above the tire, if I section 2" even if the perch is still above the tire, I have no adjustability. Got any answers for me? :?

Coil-overs can be applied to an un-sectioned strut as well. Sectioning is for the most part done to change the length of the strut so that it matches a shorter insert, thus allowing the car to ride lower without hitting the bump stops. The sectioning can be done below or above the perch (or threaded tube support). I run 8" springs on the front (I used to run 10", but the spring perch was set at the bottom of the threaded tube), and even then, the wheel rim is even with the perch. Now on a car, with a higher ride height, and 14" wheels and short tires, then you may get the perch higher than the tire, but I'm not sure the "appearance" would be acceptable. One thing to remember when dealing with highly offset wheels is that the probability of the tire rubbing the T-C rod is increased in tight turns. I'd not do any work on the strut casing until I'd have the coil-over set ready to put on.

Here is the whole story. I have 5 lug hubs which push the tire out ~1 3/4. I have 17X9 Cobra R wheels and 275/40/17's on the front. The coilovers may fit as is, but I would like to decrease BS by 1/2 and I know that won't work even with the coil overs. I just wanted to know where the spring perch would be with 8" springs. But, from what Terry said, you would have to use a 6" which is just too short I think. By the way I used your info, Terry to do my PS. I read once where you posted that the Ford rack is ? shorter than the Z. I am looking to redrill my cross member for the lower control arms, how much should I move them in?