HybridZ

who sells complete motors?

naplesZ

I have a 78 280z and I'm looking for a rebuilt motor? I'm living in Italy and am worried about how to explain everything. I could have my current motor rebuilt but I was told that with 275k miles that I would need it balanced and blue printed. I have no Idea how to translate that in Italian. Not to mention Neapolitans will half ass things to save money. I was thinking a block balanced and blue printed with everything installed wouldn't cost too much to ship. Then ship the head and anything else separate.

Thanks in advance for any help.

tough one here. maybe get a motor from England? I beleive there are/were some good Z tuing shops on the big Isle. If your motor has 275K, just have the lower end checked. it should just need new bearings at the worst. then a set of rings and you should be good to go. Z engines are remarkably sturdy, especially the lower end. its not un common to see cars in the upper 300K with lower ends that are still O.K.

McAdam

They have any Nissan dealers in Italy? I'd get a factory reman. Or, does ATK or any of the other large rebuilders hve a presence in Italy? A final alternative might be to look into shipping via the airlines. I was surprised how cheap it was to fly an engine from west coast to east coast on Delta. I'm sure a Sunbelt or Rebello would put one on a pallet.

Only 275,000 miles? Just broke in.

• 1 month later...
Guest Lee Smith

I feel balance & blueprint is only needed on a engine that is going to be run at very high rps.

I don't think it is needed for a daily driver at all.

The L280 seemes to stand short times at 5-5500 very well.

The little that I driven the 280Z cars, for top end, 4500 seemes to be the top, then shift to 5th. Very little gain in mph after 4500 in 4th.

The 78 & 82 Zcars that I have had would hit 80+ in a speedo 1/4.

110 in less then 1/2, 4th, & top out at 115 at 1 mile, 5th.

Guest Lee Smith

If it wasn't for the shipping you could have a complete 80 280ZX AT car with a good interior for $500.

180# on all cyl. Good red interior. Everthing seems to work, even the AC.

The only rust hole into the cabin seems to be the spare tire well.

You tell me how to ship & I will pull the engine for $400. You pay the shipping.

I live near Fort Dodge, Iowa, USA.