HybridZ

I hate turbo distributors.

Guest szlash280z

Guest szlash280z

my 2nd turbo distributor took a sh*t on me today. The car would start every single time I tried to start it today. So I go for a test drive.

Wow, with no exhaust there is ZERO back pressure and the throttle revs so freely! I take a couple laps around the neighborhood and I didn't take it to boost pressure at all.

When I finally hit the gas and saw 6PSI boost the car felt like it had some power, but the vacuum caps I put on there didn't like the pressure and blew off. I knew I should have put some clamps on there. So I stop to verify that a cap was blown off and it was.

It idled like crap unless I put my finger over the hole. I figured it won't matter much when driving around so I turn around to head to the house when the car just died. I tried to start it again but it just spun and spun. I took the dizzy off to test for spark and stuff, and I got nothing just like the 1st dead distributor I had. I tested for power to all my relays and fusible links and to the dizzy itself and it was all good. But the damn CAS must be crap in the 2nd one too. How much is stand alone EFI???

Guest szlash280z

I bought a brand new rebuilt distributor from advance auto tonight. after 2 taking a crap on me, now I have a lifetime warranty. The rebuilt one has a much better CAS than the stock one. I was able to really get good timing advance and retard adjustments with this new one. The car runs so much better now that I can set the timing properly!

I need an exhaust though. sure it sounds nice with just the DP, but It makes me think the engine is screaming even though it's still below 3000rpm! it's hard to keep it in boost range when you think you are redlining before 3000! That turbo whine is awesome too!

That lag is rediculous! Boooooooooooggggggg, whoooosh! it's pretty freaking cool, but the N/A was so much easier to keep it in the power band. I only drove the Turbo for 10 mins though, so I gotta practice more.

6PSI baby!

Guest bastaad525

Heheh yeah your'e going thru what I just went thru a week ago. At first the car felt like it had no oomph. And yeah not having the exhaust on there for the first few days, I was very reluctant to rev very high and wouldn't even touch the boost. Be careful too man you're gonna get a lot of exhaust in the car driving it like that... my throat still hurts over a week later from the massive quantities of exhaust I swalloed :puke:

Now that I've got everything pretty much running right... especially the ignition timing, and also when we found out that my cam was off one tooth!! The car feels much better now, throttle response wise. It's still pretty laggy compared to my high compression N/A motor. I was so happy when I got the exhaust though and could really lay into it :) Around town it feels pretty good too... still pretty torquey for such a low compression motor. It sucked on the freeway going up a slight grade with the wide gearing though... was constantly shifting between fourth and fifth to keep it in the powerband but not have it revving too high at the same time. Definately a different driving method needed for these motors...

I had the CAS issues, and that is just like the stuff I had going on. I used one from a 300ZX, and it was a little work, but it works.

Look in the Dizz, under the metal cover, look at the deal under the chopper wheel. It should have some resin stuff covering it. If you see resistors and stuff like that, you have found your problem.

Guest szlash280z

yeah that resin stuff is was caused me to think my original one was dead before I tried it. The original one had the resin leaking out of it somewhat, so I bought the back up and it APPEARED to be better as the resin looked more contained. Both of those ended up being crap. It gave me a core for the new one I bought though. The new one doesn't have any of that resin in it at all. all the electros are covered up in a smaller box inside.

Bastaad, what kind of exhaust setup did you end up using?