HybridZ

Stereo Wiring Help

Guest EnthuZiast

Guest EnthuZiast

Well, I've decided that I can't handle not listening to music when I drive so I'm gonna do something about it. And I need some wisdom from you Z Masters! 8)

I have a 2-channel amp w/ 400 Watts (it's a California 2400 whatever that is) Well, I figure that I'll use it if I can. I don't know how to hook it up exactly and was hoping that some of you could tell me where to plug what.

On one side it's got RCA input (L & R) as well as 4 speaker cable jacks. L+,L-,R+,R-. My guess is that they're for front and rear speakers (L&R)? On the other end, there is a bank of 4 inputs called "High Input" (L+,L-,R+,R-). Then I have 3 jacks that say "B+ Remote GND" That's all there is and I have no idea how to set it up.

One other thing. When I got my car (which has an aftermarket tape deck), I noticed that the antenna was disconnected and that that was probably the reason that the radio was not working. So I reconnected and the antenna immediately went down w/out the car on. The radio still doesn't work. Anyone have any idea what the deal is?

Thanks a lot guys!

-Noah

- RCA inputs go from your deck to your amp using RCA cables.

- B+ is battary posative. (12V Constant, run a ~10ga wire straight to the battary)

- Remote should hook up to the deck, and will turn the amp on when 12V is present. (I usually use the power antenna output on the deck to connect this to)

- GND is ground, to the chassis with ~10ga wire.

- L+ is probably left front, L- left rear, and similar on the right side.

"high input" I don't know for sure, but it may be an alternate way of hooking up the deck to the amp. I'd stick with the RCA and leave the high input jacks unused.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
L+ is probably left front, L- left rear, and similar on the right side.

Dunno about amps, but for every other form of stereo equipment (-) is for one pole on the speaker and (+) is for the other...

So L- and L+ would go to the same speaker and likewise on the right... can some confirm?

That would make sense too because it is also my understanding that a 2 channel amp would be for two channels of speakers. A 4 channel would be separate front and rear.

Guest EnthuZiast

I am sure that you are right. I didn't think about that . . . I was wondering why a 2 channel amp would have separate front and rear.

-Noah

First off make shure your B+ power wire has an approperate fuse. Is your amp 400 watts RMS or Peak? That is about a factor of two in tearms of power. Always look for RMS it is the a realistic measure of the power of the amp. (RMS=Root Mean Square. Kinda like the average) Anyways fuse it properly. Make shure you get a good ground as it can affect audio quality. Use the RCA cables you will get much cleaner sound. L+ is left positive L- is negative. Get it right or else it will be 180 Degrees out of phase and sound weird. As for the antenna does the casette work? If not you probably need a new radio. You can get a decent sounding one for litte more than a hundred dollars. If the casette does work and the radio doesn't I would suggest trying to trace the antenna wire and make shure everything is kosher.

If you want to get tricky and run all your speakers off your amp you can. There will be more power but you will loose a little sound quality. The wiring is L+ to the positive of both left speakers, L - to the negative for both left speakers. This will involve rewiring all the speakers. You will also loose the ability to fade from front to rear.