HybridZ

sbc welding question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I feel like a Tibetan retardate in the presence of the dali lama posting here hail.gif but i just gotta know a thing or two.

Don't shoot me when I say that i dont yet have the JTR, its coming, i'm just antsy.

I need to know about how much welding will need to be done to slap a pre-72 sbc and 700r4 (maybe even a T5) into my '72 240. I would like to keep it to as little welding as possible and i'm willing to fork over a few bucks to do it (i.e. i'm willing to buy an extensive kit if need be). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

NONE.... If you make the mounts a little work with a torch or band saw makes it go a little quicker...

I don't know exactly where you are at but we have several really great people in VA that could give you some help and you would be able to look at what they have done...

BTW hunt arround on the internet you would be supprized what kind of info is out there also the search on this sight will answer almost anything you cna think of if you give it some time...

Good luck Later Ray

JTR and MSA sell kits with everything you need. No welding, just hand tools, a hammer and probably a saw/air chisel to remove the transmission tunnel mounts.

Now chassis mods (roll bar, sub frame connectors, etc.) to keep the car from twisting are another matter....

Guest Anonymous

Yeah as the gents said, its all pretty much doa-ble without welding, you well have to have the exhaust fabbed out, something which a sane person doesn't want to do himself (I've done it twice and am still not happy) bonk.gif

Most of the little brackets and such (incidentals, little brackets you didn't know you needed etc) can usually be made in a vise to bend them, a little drilling and bam its a bracket, but there shouldn't be much of that sort of fab required.

As a side note, for those needing it, Harbor Freight has a cool little magnetic jaw for your vice (sizes up to a 8" jaw) that is a small (up to 8") press brake, you just put the die on the line and tighten the vice, nice little brake for the money for small parts IMHO.

Regards,

Lone