HybridZ

first hybrid

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am currently gathering parts to do a jtr conversion on my 54000 mi 73 240. my question is will the chassy handle the added stress(my engine will be a 283 for now 350 when I can afford it)that a V-8 will put on the car?

Guest Fast Frog

Oh Yeah:

I'm running a sbc 383 with a Paxton SC @ about 5-6lbs of boost. About 425HP @ 4600 ft. here in Colorado (about 475HP @ sea level). I don't race it, though it's been to the track once. I do "get on it" frequently and the car and you can definately feel that 450-475 ft.lbs of torque!! Most of us non-racers place a brace across the front strut towers, and occassionally, a brace across the rear strut towers. Those that do a lot of racing can advise you of additional devices and other things to do.

I've had this setup for over 5 yrs with no apparent sign of permanant chassis twisting or other damage.

Yo Frogman, Not to doubt your claims, but I think your underestimating. According to carmath on Prestage, you are closer to 377 rear wheel, or 445-470 flywheel hp! 120 mph @ 4600 ft would have a NHRA correction to sea level to 127 mph! That would figure to 525-558 hp. YEEEOOW!

JS

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited August 16, 2000).]

Guest Fast Frog

Hmmmmm!! John:

I just might have to get this beast dyno'd. I "calculated" the HP with Dyno 28 and Dyno 2000. Also, with Calmap's injector/HP program. The most HP I've come up with is 480 on a cold Jan day @ 10 degrees F. So, conservatively, I claim less HP on a "normal" day. Actually, whole air is 100% at 50 degrees F, 366 ft. elev and 30% hum. I've done stop watch sessions avg'g 12.2 @ 117+

and 1998, a friend and I took it to the local race tract on "family" day and it clocked 11.8 @ 120. Now, it was a pretty chilly Oct day.... BTW, what weight are you using for the car?? I've also run it on "Drag 28" and the computer shows real close to the time slip.

[This message has been edited by Fast Frog (edited August 16, 2000).]

Stopwatch?! AAAH! Get yourself a G-Tech man - accurate and repeatable. Even if it's not perfect with the local drag clocks it's repeatable enough to know if you're going forward or backwards with mods. Got one myself but nothing at home powerful enough yet to care about :-)

Guest Fast Frog

Hey Thanks BLKMGK!!

Off the top of your head, do you know where I can get one? I think I've seen them advertised in Turbo and Hi Tech mag.

Rick

I was figuring on about 2800 with driver. I know mine weighs 2770 with me behind the wheel. This is also using prestage's recommendation: rearwheel is .8-.85 less than flywheel. My neighbors 377 figures in at 371 rear wheel, 463 flywheel, pulling 11.2s @ 118 @ 6000 ft. I'd say your pretty close to his. Go to www.prestage.com and plug in your #s. Its all for fun anyway. What it is, is what it is. www.gtechpro.com I think, is their address. Some love the thing and others won't give you a nickel for its data.

BLKMGK, have you ever had your gtech to the strip? If so how close was it to the tracks timing? I know the trap speeds are going to read higher with the gtech. I'm still shooting for 0-60s in the 3s! Maybe with the T56.

JS