HybridZ

Turbo clocking dilemma

Sean73

I need some input from you guys on which way is best to clock the turbo on my newly built L28ET with t3/t04E turbocharger. Here are my ideas:

1) I like clockiing the turbo compressor outlet upward (like stock configuration), because I can use the stock J-tube during the break-in period, and it will simplify things and get me on the road quicker. However, I will be installing an intercooler at some point.

2) An NPR intercooler is going in eventually, so I wonder if there are any advantages to pointing the compressor outlet towards the ground. I can see in some circumstances, it may simplify IC plumbing, but I don't know for sure. The other advantage I can see is that the wastegate actuator will be easier to mount without the compressor outlet being in the way. Maybe the IC plumbing will look cleaner too.

Does anyone have any opinions on this? Thanks.

Sean

73 240Z, L28ET, T3/T04E, NPR IC, '84 Z31T ECCS

From my experience, It's easier to have the turbo clocked like stock configuration. When I tried to face it downward, I had a problem with plumbing getting around te cross member.

Also, you might need a cast 90deg elbow to make t04E housing fit right without the J-pipe hitting the struct tower.

I tried the downward facing outlet on my T04E .60a/r /T3 .63 hybrid with a 1" spacer on the exhaust - didn't work. I have it clocked to the stock position now - It does run close the strut tower with a 2.5" mandrel bent IC pipe. I pushed the 2 to 2.5" adapter as far as I could onto the turbo to give myself more room for the IC pipe. I use a Buick GNX dual port actuator which is a lot smaller than the stock WG actuator - It fits well with a small bracket. Good luck - Doug