HybridZ

the results of removing AAC, VCM

mobythevan

Background, I had already removed the EGR valve and put a block off plate on the intake manifold. I am not using a charcoal canister so those vacuum lines are plugged. My engine was running perfect and idling perfect. This is an 83 L28et.

So this weekend I removed the AAC, VCM and all associated vaccum hoses. I put a block off plate on the intake manifold where the AAC valve was. I also removed and plugged the HICD, high idle control device which was used to raise idle when using AC. Also vented the crankcase to atmosphere and the valve cover. I made my own piping from the AFM to the turbo so that I can solve the AFM mounting issues in the 240z.

Tried to fire it up, nothing. Gave it a little throttle and it fired up. Had to raise the idle using the screw on the throttlebody just like Sleeperz said. Idles fine now and runs great again. I haven't had a chance to drive it much, but it seems like you can remove all of that stuff and then just re-adjust the idle and your good.

I will re-attach the crankcase vent to the intake with check valve, and then put the valve cover vent back to piping between AFM and turbo, but I have to weld on nipples for that. To test things I just vented them to atmoshpere and plugged the intake hole where the check valve was.

Guest bastaad525

I thought having all that stuff disconnected was causing my idle to fluctuate around all over the place... oddly enough it would keep getting higher and higher. I didn't think it was the idle screw on the TB, because on mine the screw is just a 'stopper' that keeps the idle arm from closing all the way, and screws up from the bottom, to increase idle. And I thought to myself "how could this thing be working it's way UP by itself? should work it's way down and lower the idle right?" Well I found out for sure by putting some loctite on the adjustment screw, no my idle stays right where I put it :) I'm going to clean up my intake a bit by switching to an older manifold that doesn't have all that crap on it.

Guest bastaad525

I need to do that... I have a reputation for heater cores rotting thru... always ruining my nice carpet with coolant... anyways my heater doesn't even work, the fan doesn't come on, and driving the car in CA for over one year now I have found I dont really miss it :)