HybridZ

Cleaning ceramic headers (again) ??

Hey all,

Not sure this is the right forum to post this but here it goes. I remeber a post awhile ago about cleaning stained, ugly ceramic coated headers. I seem to recall Simple Green either working great or ruining the appearance. Welp, im about to mount a set that are stained a rusty color and have grease stains aswell. I couldnt find the original post through search...so i ask once again,please. Whats the best product and application to clean these mucked up headers?

Thanks much!

Jason

A really neat cleaner I've been using is Marine Clean by POR 15. It cuts grease quite well. If your headders are the "rough" type finish (aluma coat?) I would recomend Eagle one mag wheel cleaner. Of course Easy Off could be tested on a small area too.

David

You asked for it!

The paper that I received with my ceramic coated header states:

Sodium Hydroxide is a common chemical additive in degreasers and is EXTREMELY CAUSTIC! In other words, stay away. For degreasing and/or general cleaning, Simple Green or soap and water. Solvents such as lacquer thinner and acetone will not harm the coating!

Water spots, fingerprints, and light grime can be cleaned off using any glass cleaner. Use a soft cotton cloth. No Terry-cloth towels or shop rags.

Restoring original brilliant shine, any metal polish that is recommended for aluminum or stainless steel will give fantastic results. On exhuast components test a small area, start the engine and allow component to get hot. Some metal polishes contain petroleum based ingredients that will "haze over" when heated. This "haze" can be removed by re-polishing the affected area.

To remove burnt oil, take metal polish and apply it with a white Scoth Brite to the affected area. After the oil has been removed(some light staining may be left behind), polish the area out with metal polish and a soft cotton cloth.

Hope all this typing helped you out. Man I need a scanner.