HybridZ

Making JTR mounts/spacers - accuracy?

Just started making my motor mounts/spacers in metalshop today. Can anyone tell me just how precise the pieces HAVE to be to the book specification? One of my first .5 inch spacers turned out to be 3 and 7/8 instead of the whole 4 inches.. is this OK or does each piece have to be perfect (or close to perfect?) What do you guys think.. is 1/8 that critical to start over?

Thanks for any advice guys.

oh and any tips on making them - please share!

Guest Want aZ

260Z,

Thanks for the Idea!!!

Just started TIG Welding this semester....I see a complete set of Motor Mounts in my Very Near Future, as well as a Custom Engine Stand!!!

Damon

If you are JUST talking about the spacers themselves, it probably won't make that much of a difference if you are off only a hair or so. Just keep the tolerances as close as possible to what they specify. Make sure that the bolt holes are perfect in the set back plates or you'll be hating life trying to get them on the engine block.

Davy

You might wanna hold off on that engine stand just untill you become better at welding! Dont want a 400 pound engine dropping cause of a bad weld.. (I accidently broke one of our engine stands today while leaning on it) The $#%@er was welded so bad the base and then one of the support arms just came apart. Go figure...

I'm in Northwest Houston, about an hour away from downtown (with no traffic) - yeah right!

The spacers/mounts are coming out pretty decent, Im taking my time and doing it the right way. The only thing is that they're heavy - all we got is steel plates in 1/4" and 1/2" thickness..