HybridZ

Bent valve confirmed

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Just an update. Mechanic came and took a listen to the car today, and I finally got out my compression gauge to check the #6. Absolutely 0 compression reading on it :(

So that's definate. Should have the head off by mid next week, and back on early the week after that. Luckily I know a machine shop with very short, dependable turnaround time. Last time I got the head back in two days. Really cool guy. One little upside to this, since we're gonna have everything off the head already, I'm going to go the extra step and pull everything off the intake manifold, and swap to an early 280 manifold, which doesn't have any of the crap on it like the EGR and various other air valves and hoses a.k.a. potential vacuum leaks :) I had wanted to do this anyways so now there's the perfect excuse and it wont be much extra work. That will be a very nice end result. I have to take a look at the other manifold though to be sure it does have the couple vacuum ports that I do need, for the boost gauge and such. I know a few of you guys have done this swap so i have to assume i should be okay.

The road is still long, but I will get there eventually.

Before you start tearing into the intake, you should get the car running right. You are adding in a whole host of new variables that could cause you headaches by doing that. Get the thing running right, then tear it apart.

Just my 2c.

Tim

Guest bastaad525

actually I thought I'd be eliminating possible problems by switching to this manifold? That will be removing four EGR-type vacuum valves and nearly 10 hoses from the equation, and since none of them are hooked up with the appropriate vacuum lines anyways, they aren't functioning the way they are supposed to, and should not be functioning at all, but could still be causing problems. It would be more of a headache to swap the manifold again, after I get the head back on.

For anyone who does run this early manifold, I need to know, does it have the vacuum ports for:

a) brake booster (I dont see one in szlashes pic)

B) vacuum line to the throttle body, dont know what this one is for

c) vacuum line to fuel pressure regulator

d) a port to connect the feed to the boost pressure gauge

I only see one nipple on szlashes pic :(