HybridZ

83 Turbo Idle Speed

cygnusx1

The 83 Turbo motor that I just finished installing in my 76 Z idles at 1000 to 1100rpm. This seems a bit high. I have the timing set to factory spec. The motor and ECCS is totally '83 stock. It shows about 19-20 in-vac. The motor was out of an automatic and is now with a 5-speed. What should it idle at and how can this be adjusted? I cant seem to find any vacuum leaks anywhere. When I open the oil cap the motor stumbles which seems to be a good sign of an air-tight motor.

Thanks.

Dave C.

http://www.hvmp.com/dc

Guest szlash280z

are you using the 83 intake manifold and all the goodies that go with it?

try adjusting the throttle stop screw underneath the throttle body. That is what I use to adjust my idle. I don't have the computer controlled idle stuff on mine though.

Guest bastaad525

Yep throttle stop screw, but szlash makes a good point, if you have all your '83 idle control stuff hooked up on the manifold, the ECCS may thwart any attempts you make to adjust the idle yourself. Or, it may not, but if you adjust it and find it keeps adjust itself, you will know why. Another problem I had, was that the stop screw kept shaking itself loose, and very oddly, kept working it's way UP, causing my idle to increase... I would think it would have shook down/out, not up... on my TB it's nearly impossible to tighten the lock nut that is on the stop screw, the screw head diameter is larger than the lock nut, meaning you cant get a socket over it, and it's very hard to get to with a regular wrench. I just pulled the screw completely out and put some blue loctite on it, threaded it back in, and now my idle stays put :)

Oh by the way all the vacuum hoses that hook up to my idle control stuff on the manifold are disconnected.

• 2 weeks later...