HybridZ

Cogged pulley systems---opinions?

DavyZ

Well, I have thinking about buying a cogged wheel pulley system to replace the stock V-groove belts on my Chevy V8.

I have been thinking about the possibility of more friction, but this seems to be false in light of the V-groove design having a certain amount engineered there in the first place. The cogged belt sits on, not in, the pulleys, so it might even help there.

I should state that this is mostly for show and not really for 'performance' on this engine. However, the pulleys are much lighter and they won't slip, that's for sure, so maybe there will be some performance benefit after all!! :D

I have been thinking about this and wanted to know what some of your thoughts on the subject are. Any negative things about these systems I should know about or be careful of???

Davy

As for negatives....

If you ever throw or break a belt on a road trip' date=' it won't be something that the local pep boys or autozone will stock. Keep a spare, then you'll be ok.

Tim[/quote']

Thanks for the info, guys. And yes, I had not considered that getting a new belt might be a problem :roll:

The March Systems are really cool, but this is a much simpler system and costs a pittance in comparison. I think I'll do it after a bit more consideration if there are no more negatives.

Davy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mr. Big Business

One thing to keep in mind is that thay all of your pullies will need to be almost perfectly aligned. With a V belt, your alternator and A/C (if you have it) don't have to be exactly lined up, but those cogged belts need to be perfect.

One thing to keep in mind is that thay all of your pullies will need to be almost perfectly aligned. With a V belt, your alternator and A/C (if you have it) don't have to be exactly lined up, but those cogged belts need to be perfect.

Hmmm, that's true--it would be easier to throw a belt. My "ghetto mount" for the alternator using the smog pump bracket is ever so slightly off. I would hate to have that cause me problems, which it might. I may have to pony up for a billet alternator bracket thatpulls everything in tight to the center of the engine before going to a cogged system. Thanks for the thought!

Davy