HybridZ

LT1 Install in 240Z question

Hey Guys,

I'm planning a '96 LT1/700r4 install in a 73 240. Does anyone have a comprehensive list of differences between the JTR install of a carb'd motor vs the late model LT1? I am not referring to the computer or electrical challenges, just getting the motor in there with the accessory/pulley setup, best radiator, fan, headers etc.

Thanks for the help.

240Z28

JTR kit works fine.

I used the JTR recommended radiator.....others will work.

A/C compressor will not fit, so you will have to do something like another pulley in it's place. Other than the electronics, there are very few difference, except you get more firewall clearance with teh LT1 due to lack of rear mount distributor.

Tim

I have done the carbed and am now finishing an LT install in my second hybrid.

Physically no difference in mounts etc. You will have issues with the late transmission talking to speedometer, they are covered in the JTR TPI swapping book and parts are available through them to resolve. Can't help you there...my first was earlier 700R4 and this one is a 5 speed. The only solution I had to mounting alternator and compressor was to cough up over $700 to Street and Performance in Mena Arkansas for their setup. These mounts require moving coil to lower right front of engine and they happily sell you the adapter needed too. Takes the small alternator and Sanden 508 compressor. An engine driven fan is really not an option...but no big deal. I am using low buck Camaro aluminum radiator and 2 speed fan from Ford. A high pressure pump with return is needed. I am trying a lifetime replacement Ford part that is very quiet and relatively cheap. I am still confident the LT1 is great choice, but if I had done a earlier carbed swap I would have been driving at least 4 months and $1500 sooner. with less bald spots from scatching. BigPhil on this list has a detailed breakout of what worked for him and I will help out as where possible ....I have about a hundred photos if you get stuck or curious. Wiring is similar to JTR book IF you build or buy a stand-alone harness for engine. Approach ready to learn and you will probably live. john

Thanks for the help you guys. I am trying to learn as much as possible before I start this project this winter. I am trying to get a deal from a friend on an Accell DFI unit to install so I can avoid all the factory computer and be able to program everything. He bought a Holley unit to replace the Accell that was on his firebird drag car. That will make it easier to install a supercharger later....maybe.