HybridZ

ok prob a stupid post but i gotta ask.. GN turbo swap. + etc

Guest ON3GO

ok guys, i know i know i know, i know my Z isnt even near done, but i gotta ask because its been on my mind lately.

after this Z, or even during this Z im gonna get another Z, prob a early 240Z. i dont care if it donest run or anything, rust..who cares im gonna re do the whole car and make it a full drag car....well kinda.

i was gonna do a 510 but ill build one more Z car before i build one of those.

anyways i was reading GM Tech Magazine and it had a few articals on GN's and such and i got some info on whats to do to these motors and etc.

see im really into street racing, yes i know its not safe or smart but i do enjoy it and love it. Around my neck of the woods theres some really fast cars, that wear full slicks and such and street race with them for big cash.

and i truely hate some of these guys because they talk down alot of ppl that dont have cars on par with them. This is why i wanna build a car like this. yes i know its far away from me even starting this but im bored and have no life other then this site and my Z.

so i what a 8sec to 9sec car, full slicks, roll cage, built auto tranny, etc etc etc. but want it to hook on the street.

so this is kinda not a 100% GN swap question.

i dont care if this car isnt street legal, heck ill trailer it to a race i dont mind.

i dont want slicks the size pro stock cars have, something that will fit on a 15x10 inch weld racing wheel.

also want somewhat of a full interior, yes i know i said full drag car but i want to beable to pull up to some racers and for them to think not much of it besides the slicks lol.

i dont care if i run flares either, ZG's would be cool.

so do you guys think this whole idea is feasable, and doable?

any ideas?

im reading up on whats it take to swap in a GN motor in a Z, and also reading on a few GN forums for some info.

this will prob sound dumb too but i dont want to spend 80 grand on this car, lol like i have the money anyways now, i mean i dont mind spending the money on it later on because ill be making pretty good money... i hope.

well thanks for lettin me free my mind..

mike

Guest BigWhyteDude

why dont you forget about the 8 sec car and just give me the money :D But really if you do undertake that massive proposition good luck to you. If i had an 8-9 sec car i would kill myself.

i would too right now, but im sure ill begin this project full tilt in a year or so. i already found a a nice clean 240Z forsale that runs that i can use maybe as my daily drive, but then again i have my truck so ill prob just buy the Z and just work on it whenever i can, then after i know where im gonna live ill start working on the car like mad and get it done.

but i want to do alot of research now, make sure this is the way i wanna go.

My god Mike not even done with one race car project and getting ready to start another. Sounds killer I've sorta had the same plan as you, build my 280 and then find a 240 to put a bigger motor in, I was thinking GN turbo too :D .

Sounds killer on the street, but I'd try to make it street legal.

A 2600# 240Z with a 600rwhp GN will go 9.20s @ 140s. How hard is it? For me, that would mean stripiing off 150#, putting a girdle on the bottom-end, some forged pistons, and a bigger turbo. Having said all of that, I certainly know you have no idea of what something like that would be on the streets. I certainly would never run a Z that quick strett racing with the way the crowds line the road. I consider myself a good shoe on the strip, but every time I think back to my little episode, I shudder to think how many people I would have killed if that was on the street.

However, I do not want to start preaching about street racing. Why don't you plan on coming up to reynolds in 2 weeks? At least you will see a low-10 sec GNZ in action and there is supposed to be a low-8 sec Z coming. That will give you some idea of what it is all about. My advice is to keep that as a dream for now and learn how to drive and respect a quick car first. Believe me, there is a big difference between driving a 13-sec Z vs driving a 10-sec Z.

Nothing wrong with your dream though. MOF, I like it expect for the street part.

yea i understand that, and i respect your words. i wish i could come to see you run and etc but i have work every day, and no car. my daily driver Ranger's clutch just went, and my moms rodeo just broke down today. all thats left is the Z06 (yeah right) and my Z which isnt running.

whats the date for shits and giggles?

about the idea (dream) i would bring it to the track all the time its just one of those cars where your hanging out and somebody comes and says get me a car to race for a 1000 bucks... then ill go home and get the GN Z...

and trust me i wouldnt even think about racing it with alot of ppl around.. those types of races would be on the low down..

mike