HybridZ

POR-15 for exterior

Z Driver

I have some rust on my ZX and some POR-15. I am in the process of repainting it. I was wonder if I can use POR-15 on the exterior surfaces that will get paint. I do not have the POR15 tie coat primer. I know I will have to scuff the POR-15 very much before the primer. POR-15 claims that one can paint over it, but I do not know if they are just trying to move product. I do not want to get my car painted and have the paint peeling because it could not attach to the POR-15. Has anyone painted over POR-15 on the exterior of his or her car? What were your results?

Thanks

My dad used it in fighting cancer (rust) on a '53 Chevy P/U 18 or 19 years ago. Back then POR-15 was the sole product and yes it did take primer. The biggest problem I saw with it, was obtaining a smooth surface. You normally brush on the POR-15 and removing the brush marks, takes a lot of sanding due to the hardness of the coating.

Hope this helps.

Ed Palmer

PS: Using it myself on my 280, but in the fenderwells and frame rail areas.

Yes, but you have to use POR-15's thinning agent. The company strongly recommends proper ventilation for spraying it.

ecp48, did the paint hold on that vehicle after 18+ years? I am most concerned with the paint and primer being able to stick to POR-15.

Thanks

It would work well as an undercoat (super protection) but the preparation would be a killer. It adheres best to a clean, dry surface which has surface corrosion, or they have a precoat which etches the surface to allow the POR-15 to bond. You would have a tough time cleaning the surface to the standard you would need.

Check out the POR-15 Website. I used google recently, it will give you more info.

Good luck,

ecp48