HybridZ

Turbo Coupe T-5 the same as 5.0 T-5?

Guest ScaryFast

Guest ScaryFast

is the T-5 found in the SVO Mustang Turbo Coupes the same as the ones found in the 5.0? I found a good deal on one but I dont want to get it and end up tearing the thing up.

Guest fordguy57

It is not as heavy duty as the "world class" one's in late 80's 5.0 applications. Think the turbo one's have wider ratio gear spread to compensate for small motor on takeoff.. However, I would speculate that given Z is lighter than donor car, you would probably break traction before breaking the transmission. My son has been thrashing on his Turbo Coupe with well-used stock T5 from junkyard (from another Turbo Coupe; it replaced a bad automatic..)and that trans has had a lot of abuse w/o failing. He smoked the wide low-profile16" tires (posi you know...) all the way down the block in front of my daughter's house (she was not impressed...). Now the motor is smaller than a V8 swap would end up being, but TBird is a lot heavier too. Might not be optimal at the drag strip behind a V8, but for street driving I would think it will would serve reasonably well.. Especially if you are on a budget. I have bought both Turbo T5's and a World class T5, and I could break 3 of the Turbo Coupe one's for what one of the World Class trannys cost.. Has anyone here actually used the turbo T5 in their Z with V8?

I am about to drive my 5.0L swap with a Turbo Coupe T5. My transmission has a 4.03:1 first gear as opposed to the 3.35:1 or 2.95:1 WC T5's used in Mustangs. The other difference between a V8 and four cylinder T5 is the input shaft diameter. Four cylinder T5's have a diameter of .59" vs. the V8's diameter of .668". I made a steel sleeve to increase the diameter of my four cylinder transmission's input shaft. Now, before anyone asks why I would go through the hassle of installing a transmission with a first gear that will be useless I will explain. I had one in my garage. I also have a WC T5 that will be rebuilt once I have the swap finished...I don't want to undertake a tranny rebuild and V8 swap all in the same garage. I also plan to take the car to the drag strip with the four cylinder transmission to see what kind of times are possible. It should be interesting.

Also, if you are interested in more info on the various T5's, ie. ratios, torque ratings and internal changes, do a search on the internet for T5 information and you will find charts that list the ratios and original vehicle that the transmission came in based on the 3 digit code on the build tag.

Josh

• 1 month later...

Let us know how your trans "strength tests" go. I'd give up 1st gear for a budget overdrive.

I had read about the input shaft pilot diameter being smaller on the 4-cyl and 6-cyl T-5s, but until I read that chart on D&D's site, I didn't realize that the input shaft on the 5.0 T-5 was almost 1/4" shorter. Don't the 3.8 v-6 and 5.0 v-8 have the same bellhousing?