HybridZ

radiator help

Guest MistressMotorsports

Does anyone know the diameter of the inlet and outlet ports on a 240Z stock radiator? Should be somewhere between 1.25 and 1.5 inches measured along the smooth tube portions. I'm having a radiator built and wanted to use stock hoses if possible. Thanks for any help.

Mike

Mike,

Look at the Ron Davis Radiators, they build a cross flow aluminum radiator that is a direct bolt-in for your Z that works great! I have had one for years and it works really well.

I know that Mickey has not had the best luck with Ron Davis radiators, but I think that this is the exception and not the rule. If you are deadset against a Ron Davis radiator, there are several options that the V8 guys use. There are several cross flow aluminum chevy radiators that can easily be modified to fit a Z.

This might be a better solution than having a radiator fabricated, unless there is some reason that you need to have one made??

Thanks for the tip. Coincidentally, the radiator I ordered is from Ron Davis. They said they didn't have a direct replacement, but that their stock car radiator 19 x 26 inches will fit. They should be right since the stock radiator is about 19 x 25 inches, and theirs tapers significantly at the bottom where the frame rails are. They just want to know what size connections to put on for me. I had a Ron Davis radiator in my Vette for years with no probs, so I have no objections. Mickey breaks everything in his car from radiators to alternator mounts to...... so I don't use him as the rule, although when he finally finds something that works, you know it will work for everyone else.

BTW, Mickey and I both won overall in our respective races this past weekend at Buttonwillow, so it was a great weekend for Datsun racers.

Mike

You guys were right. Arizona Z car has a drop in, although they say it's not made by Ron Davis. Anyway, it's a little over $300, which is a pretty good price, so I ordered one. Thanks again for the help.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yeah, well i bought one a few years back from AZ Z Car and it has Ron Davis stamped on the top with Ron's phone number...but whatever...AZ Z car can claim anything they want i guess.

The one thing that i will strongly recoemend is that you use a floating mounting arrangement. If you bolt your new radiator in like the stock unit the chassis flex on the car will tear your radiator apart. I use a bolt several washers and nylock nut with a short, stiff spring to hold my radiator in place, and allow some movement of the chassis without damaging the radiator.

Radiator showed up. I definitely does not look like my buddy's Ron Davis, so they must be using someone else now. Anyway, I'm going to put it in this week and go racing the first weekend in Oct, so I'll let everyone know how it does.

Anyone know the p/n for a 280ZX lower rad hose? That's the one I'm supposed to use with this radiator.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Ran with the new Arizona Z Car radiator at Willow Springs this weekend, It definitely made the car run cooler than the old one did. The car ran right on the thermostat no matter how hard I revved. Of course, it was only 85 degrees out, not over 100 like a few weeks ago, but still a good comparison to the old rad (stock with a 3rd core added) which always ran hotter than the thermostat. Remember I'm talking about road racing here, not street duty. The radiator was a near drop in. The guys at Az Z Car said I should use a 1.5 inch upper with an extra tube they provide and a stock 280ZX lower. Erik Messley actually did the install. He modified the lower outlet so I could retain the stock 240Z lower hose, basically by removing the straight outlet that came on the rad and welding on a 90 degree bend. The only hard part was that the stock engine upper outlet is made for 1.25 inch hose, which had to be stretched and siliconed onto the Az Z car provided tube. No biggie there. The rad sits a little below the front cross member, although it's still a bunch higher than either the comp oil pan or the 2nd cross member, so I don't think there's any problem there unless I do something really dumb. Anyway, at $329 or so, it's a pretty good deal and a reasonably easy install.

Mike