HybridZ

still have vibration!

Guest TreeCutter260z

Guest TreeCutter260z

I just put back in my 350 and t-5 in my late 260 after the rebuild and i have bad vibrations in the driveshaft. I just put in a ron tyler diff mount with rubber mount. The angles look perfect but it still vibrates when i get to 40 or so and increases as i accerate. it doesn't go away when i decel. The u joints are in good shape. should i have the driveshaft balanced again or a new one made? my motor is in the jtr position with the distributer about 1/2 inch away from the firewall. nothing is hitting anything . i have no clue what to do next. I need a laser pointer angle finder or something. any suggestions?

thanks

matt

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rick Johnson

Get a digital display level and measure your drive shaft angles down to a nats but. Ideally you will be less than 3 degrees at each U joint and they will be equal front ot rear. Then get a long string or ruller and check for lateral misalignment from front to rear.

Then get a dial indicator and spin your drive shaft, hope for less than .020 runout and preferably under .015.

Good luck, drive shaft angles can be a real son of gun but are extremely important. How are you holding the front of your diff down under accelleration? The stock mount allows tons of deflection under accelleration ruining all your hard efforts at proper shaft angles.

• 3 weeks later...