HybridZ

Can I pull the trans. and leave the engine in?

georgiaz

My turbo 350 has got to come out (that really bites). I'm not sure this is possible to do without pulling the engine as well. I have the JTR kit so firewall clearance is tight, but I think I can get to the bellhousing bolts. I'm just not sure if I will be able to slide the trans back enough to clear the flexplate. Has anyone done this or is it just going to be simpler to pull engine and all?

Do you think there is enough room to slide the tranny back after you remove the driveshaft? You should be able to support the tranny with a jack remove the crossmember and pull it back. Obviously you will need to remove the shifter as well. You shouldn't need to remove the bell housing as the tranny bolts to it. With removing the crossmember you should be able to drop the tranny down as you pull it back as long as the front spline shaft is clear.

Generally you can remove the distributor, exhaust, driveshaft, and trans mount, then lower the trans to tilt the engine/trans assembly back enough to get to the bellhousing bolts. Then support the engine and remove the trans. This worked for me when I had the 700R4 in my car. I used two floor jacks, one under the oil pan with a large piece of wood to spread the load on the oil pan, the other under the 700R4. This means the trans comes out at an angle, so another piece of wood was used under the front of the trans pan to get the angle right. You will also have to loosen the motor mounts a little to allow the engine to pivot. Watch the radiator hoses and wiring to make sure you don't strain anything. Getting the engine to TDC on compression before removing the distributor makes putting it back a lot easier. I also had to remove the driver side header to keep the header from hitting the steering shaft when tilting the motor. Doing this is sorta tedious, but not nearly as bad as pulling the engine and trans together.

John

I've pulled my T56 twice with the motor in. You just have to tilt the engine back with a crane or jack with the car up as high as possible. You might have to tilt it forward a touch to get to some bolts but you won't have too much room to do this. Pulling the distributor cap etc. may help with the room to tilt...