HybridZ

Surface rust on block

Guest polarity

Guest polarity

The block I have has been sitting a while, and I haven't been doing anything with it. It appears to have a little surface rust on it. What should I do about this?

My next question the block is supposed to be fine, no cracks or anything. Should I take it to a shop to have it checked out just in case? Is there any reason for me to bore it or have it magnafluxed or anything?

Any info on what I should do to prep this block would be great..

BTW I decided to just build this motor..

While I thought I had it spec'd out I just found out that the cam I was going to use is for blocks up to 95. So I guess I need to relook at everything and find out what might work for my motor.

If you guys want to give suggestions I'm looking to get around 300rwhp (more is nice, but not manditory) I want a nice powerful motor, I like high revs but once again not manditory. I belive Dave told me I need to use the Performer intake because of height restrictions. Will need heads to match the motor ( I guess I might as well go ahead and buy the vortec heads ($400 a set I think)..)

I'm really not good at picking parts because I'm too indecisive. Any help you guys can throw out would be great. I'm trying to build the motor on a budget but still have a good strong motor.

Billy

Guest polarity

ahhh, more research at early morning hours

Ok, this is what I have. Please help out if you think I'm wrong.

97 Vortec Block

http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=prod_detail&catid=2174&pid=89534

Buy that, that will be my heads, intake, etc.

Crane Powermax #114142 camshaft, 216, 228 @.050 - 112 LSA (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but to run this cam I DO need those upgraded vortec heads and not the regular ones (difference is only about $100)

Holley 650 Carb

The next problem is I can't seem to find a good rebuild kit for a 97 vortec motor (Looking at Summit and all they seem to have us up to 93 blocks (are they the same, should I just get one of these))

Thanks again guys. My check gets here Monday and I get to start buying some new parts (albeit only a few at a time, but hey it's better than nothing)

Billy

I believe the block for a Vortec is the same as the older SBC. Just remember that it has the one piece rear main seal which is preferred. The stock heads and springs can only handle so much lift so an upgrade is in order. For the rebuild kit you could use the one from Summit assuming it is for a one piece main style block. The intake gasket will not fit the stock head though. Also be careful to use a Vortec intake manifold with the Vortec heads. You can get a set of Vortec heads reworked to use the older intake manifold but I don't think it is worthwhile. I put a set of Vortec heads on my Pickup (76 4x4) along with a Performer Cam and Intake and am quite happy with the results so far.

Guest greimann

As far as the block prep is concerned, take it to a engine rebuilder and have him magnaflux it for cracks and inspect the cylinders for wear. Then you will know whether you will need to overbore it or just hone it. If you need to bore it, then you will need pistons. If you need pistons, then you will need to select the proper dish that is appropriate for the heads and cam you are running.

It would be a good idea to pick up some books on basic engine rebuilding. Go to Amazon and look up the author David Vizard.

As for a rebuild kit, how about a Chevy dealer?

I second the David Vizard book. I used his Small Blocks on a Budget and the engine rebuild book. This was my first SBC as I have been into Porsches for the last 10 years. It was a piece of cake with the book as the guide. Using all stock chevy parts except the intake mainfold and I'm pushing 375hp with great reliability and no issues (so far). He has a way of explaining things that make very good sense. The books have a very good section on component inspection.

James...