HybridZ

Will .0025 Inch Really make a difference?????

Guest Want aZ

OK Guys,

Here is the deal, Started on my set back plates for a SBC last night for welding class. did the following:

1. layed everything out, and cut out both set back plates. Didnt have any 5/16 steel, used 3/8 instead.

2. was laying out the holes to be drilled, but DO NOT have a .44 inch drill bit was considering using a 7/16 which is actually .4375 inch, a .0025 difference? can this be a big deal or am I going to have to buy a .44inch drill bit?

Did a search didnt find anything but am definately wondering.....

Thanks in advance,

Damon

The holes you are talking about are just clearance holes for the bolts to go through. I would imagine that the JTR brackets are drilled for .4375 as I doubt that they got a special drill bit to make these holes. Don't sweat it just drill with the standard drill. If for some reason the bolts wont go through then you can always redrill later. I used to design parts for natural gas compressors and the clearance holes for studs and bolts were just taken off of a chart. If I were to put a hole diameter of .44 on a drawing the machine shop would have just drilled it .4375 as this would be in tolerance anyway.

Hope this helps.

Let's not get too technical here. .4375 is 7/16" in decimal form. Surely your shop has a 7/16" drill bit?!?

In any case, making the holes a tad oversize will make absolutely no difference once everything is put together. The only way it would make a difference is if the fasteners that go in there were an interference fit, and they're not.