HybridZ

what's going on all I did was change the filter?

Rob

Hi everyone.

I ordered one of those really deep dish air filter bottom plates which came on '67 Camaros which allowed room for a 4" tall filter on top of my ZZ4 with a Holley 650 double pumper. I was delighted with how tough it looked and figured it would only help it run better. However, whenever I open up the secondaries it bogs momentarily and then wakes up, every single time. When I put the edelbrock bottom filter plate back on with 3" filter, it is a silky smooth transition when the secondaries are opened, every single time. Is the engine running so much more lean with one extra inch of filter that I need to rejet or change the squirter or something like that? Its hard for me to believe. When I went from paper to K&N I didn't notice anything like that.

I've never heard of a filter change requiring rejetting. Curious if anyone else has experienced this, and how it was fixed. If it really did lean out due to that filter that must mean there's more power waiting if I get the carb dialed in for it. For now, I'm just running it with the 3" filter.

Thanks!

This is a very common problem. we used to do this to my moms car back when we first started driving. back then we weren`t smart enought to know what was going on. We just thought it was cool the way the car would practically fall on its face, before roaring to life.

The problem is fuel starvation. The engine is getting way more air than the fuel system is set up to deliver. A double pumper carb should help because you wouldn`t be waiting for the secondaries to open up.

Their is one other possible problem. If you have a weak or worn out accelerator pump it could cause a similiar condition that may not be experienced under normal conditions.

With the stock or smaller air cleaner, you engine will carry more manifold vacume which will help to draw fuel through the accelerator circuit of the carb under wide open throttle.

With the larger air cleaner, the accelerator pump will have to supply all of the fuel necessary under heavy acceleration.