HybridZ

guys with front air dams on your Z's...

Guest ON3GO

hey guys im trying to put my 240Z air dam on my 280Z.

i have the 3 holes i can put bolts into the air dam to hold it on nice and tight but what type of bolts/ screws did you guys use?

also it seems like i have to cut a small part of my air dam off to make it fit perfect because it hits where the frame/wheel well is on the air dam.

also do i need to do anything else to hold it up besides those 3 holes on each side on the stock body panels?

thanks

mike

i noticed that when i put a 280 front air dam from msa on my car i ended up having to drill new holes in my fenders and in the valance so that the bolts near the wheel well would be on strong mountings (not so close to the edge). i plan on also doing a bolt through the holes at the tip on each headlight bucket. im not sure how it is going the other way though...

-zach

It seems to me that most aftermarket airdams dont quite fit "perfectly" without a little attention. I had to drill a couple of extra holes in mine to line up. I also added two braces from the front end of my frame rails to the underside lip of the airdam. They were pretty simple braces, 2 bits of 6mm dia. rod with a bit of flat welded on each end. I drilled a hole through the flat big enough for the bolt hole thats already there on the frame rail and a smaller one for the airdam end. I used button head cap screws with flat washers on each side of the fibreglass, and I brought the button heads up from under, so there'd be nothing to catch on gutters and the other inevitable things we run into! I also cut some rubber washer out of push bike inner tube for all the bolts that hold my airdam together and put them under the flat washers to allow for a bit of give.

Cheers