HybridZ

trany problems!!!!

cameraobsess

i have been working on this car for awile and i just got it running about 3 months ago. it has a manual t-5 and it worked great for a little bit and then started to act funny after a little while. here are the siptoms.... when i drive the shifter shakes from side to side, i can twist the shifter bar almost 90 degrees, when i shift it used to slide into the gear but now it catches on something for a split second and then gose into gear. can anyone think of something thats wrong with it? i was thinking that the shit linkage is lose or something like that but i dont really know anything about transmitions. also if the differential was starting to go bad could it cause the trany to have problems? i cant see how it would but i have reasons to beleve the diff has something wrong too. any addvice would be great thanks for the help.

Julius

when i drive the shifter shakes from side to side, i can twist the shifter bar almost 90 degrees, when i shift it used to slide into the gear but now it catches on something for a split second and then gose into gear. can anyone think of something thats wrong with it? i was thinking that the dodo linkage is lose or something like that but i dont really know anything about transmitions.
I saw a recent post talking about how the shift linkage/rods/whatever can get screwed up easily in those things. The person who messed it up fortunately had a friend who was an expert on the T-5 and fixed it for him. You might try to find the post and talk to the guy.
also if the differential was starting to go bad could it cause the trany to have problems? i cant see how it would but i have reasons to beleve the diff has something wrong too. any addvice would be great thanks for the help.

Julius

The only way I can see a differential affecting the trans is if the driveshaft is at a serious angle up and down or side to side. Other than that, I don't think it can affect the trans. UNLESS the gears and driveshaft COMPLETELY lock up? Of course, I'm not an expert. :(