HybridZ

L28 GM tranny swap?

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

So I have a idea on what is need to swap a GM tranny in to my ZX, but has anyone done it on this site? If so let me in on any good links or if anyone has a kit or ready made adapter plates. Thanks.

Alex C

AIM:boostmyride

Advanced adapters won't touch it. You have 2 options and they are as follows.

1) Buy the midplate for the chevy/olds pattern and overlay the nissan pattern. This will allow the midplate to bolt to the nissan block and the GM tranny bolts to the midplate.

2) Drill new mounting holes onto the Jatco 4N71B Maxima bellhousing for it to bolt to the powerglide case. You will be required to cut off the GM bellhousing. This is what Mustang guys do to run the glide. It must be the Maxima bellhousing and not the 280zxt Jatco 3N71B housing as this housing is too small, unless you want to purchase a custom $1K converter.

In both instances you will have to work out the converter clearances, but option 2 seems easier to me because you can use the stock starter and flexplate. You can also use an inexpensive GM converter and all that is required is an adapter to mate the GM converter to the 280zxt flexplate.

Option 1 converter/flexplate setup has several options.

The Datsun bellhousing was just what I was thinking, I have seen how the Ford guys get it done. I'm gonna start the search for the powerglide case to start mocking the set up. I will keep all in touch on my progress with the next car to come. Thanks for all the info.

Alex C

UPDATE, drilling the maxima bellhousing will only work with the C4 swap. I took my 280zxt bellhousing and checked it against the powerglide pump and it will not work. The glide pump is much larger and the mounting holes have a much larger bolt circle than the Jatco 3N71B/4N71B pump. The best option for the glide is to make an adapter plate. I brought along my datsun plate that has the L28 pattern and centered it on the glide bellhousing. The starter will be able to attach to the adapter plate in the stock location and not interfere with the glide bellhousing.