HybridZ

H.E.I distributor with a JTR kit /chevy 350

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My mechanic and I scratching our heads. I have a HEI distributor we are trial fitting engine/tranny Monday night. I feel the HEI will take up too much room. I know that the engine sits really far back to allow for correct weight ratio. Fact is I blew my budget weeks ago. I already 1500 dollars over. I DONT want to spend another 400 dollars on new ignition system when I have a good one *just maybe too big*. Is there enough clearance to the fire wall, and relocated hood latch? Thanks in advance. Oh by the way, hybrid fever catching on. Looking for info for a buddy with a rx7. He has a 302 wanting to put in it. Any helpful websites or addresses?

Tell your friend to hop on the FordNatics mailing list. There's a guy on there who's got an RX7 with a Ford motor in it and has documented the swap. Unfortunatly I've not got the URL handy.

As for the HEI - where isn't it hitting? You have or have not relocated the hood latch? You should either relocate it or use the JTR bracket. The HEI actually slips under the bracket if I recall. Look at some of Mike Kelly's pics - I THINK he used the JTR bracket. DO make sure you get the latch working before you close the hood. I'd even go so far as to pull the motor and get inside while you test it - pulling the hood to fix a balky latch is supposed to be tough to do...

Guest Fast Frog

You might consider an "F" body HEI dist with a remote coil. This dist is not much larger than a standard dist and much smaller than an HEI dist with an internal coil. My V8 set up has an HEI with a remote coil and I'm within a 1/4" of a full set back position.

Guest Frank280z

Just remember that as per the JTR book to drill out the holes in the crossmember like slots to place the engine wherever you want to within the 1-1.5" alotted. I have the bulky HEI on mine and it sits pretty close but not enough to worry about. I also have a dual point Accel if you're interested. $75 + shipping.....Frank

------------------

Build it. Drive it. Improve it.

Frog, what do you mean by full setback? Are you saying you kept your stock latch? If so I'm INTERESTED! Part #s? A remote coil sounds like a nice idea too. Naturally I think the builder already specced a standard HEI for me (sigh).

Or are you saying that any further back and the bellhousing would hit the firewall? I guess I'm just not real clear on the benefits of the F-body distributor (am not real up on Chevies either).

Thanks for any clarification you or others can offer!

Jim, the full size HEI distributor forces you to place the engine maybe 3/4" more forward than the smaller diameter distributor (I didn't know that there was a smaller diameter HEI, but I know the regular point type, Accel, MSD, etc. ones are smaller).

Even with the smaller distributor, there is still room at the firewall for the bellhousing, but not much. The brake line going across the firewall would be the next obstacle, but that could be moved up. This might gain another 1/2" of clearance, if you had no distributor. My blowproof bellhousing has an ear right at the top that gets close to the brake line, but there's still about an inch of clearance.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@home.com">pparaska@home.com -

Uh boy. So is this 3/4 of an inch worth much in the grand scheme of things? That will shorten the driveshaft that much more - won't it be that much more sensitive to vibration and balance issues? I've got no problem using an F-Body distributor if it's worth it even if I must pitch a perfectly good regular HEI (sigh).

Guest Fast Frog

Yes!!

There are 2 types of Hei Dist. A larger size-used on later model Vettes (and others I'm sure). This type has the coil as part of the dist. The "F" body type was used on '88 to '92 Camaro/Firebirds (and probably others) and is smaller and uses a remote coil. You can get it thru a GM dealer or thru JEGS-Accel, MSD, Mallory, are some of the aftermarket manufacturers. The "F" body dist is slightly larger than the standard (?) dist usually associated with a older carburated engine; therefore, not allowing you to set the engine back, per JTR, to the fullest extent possible-by about 1/4"-1/2".

Oh!! BLKMGK, I did not keep the stock hood latch, I went to JTR recommended setup with the ZX safety latch. My HEI dist sets right underneath this new latch about 1/2" +/- from the fire wall. BTW, Although I'm far from a dist expert, HEI setups are usually associated with computer (ECU, ECM, whatever) controlled cars that run with chips or can be programed. The "F" body ignition module, which is located in the dist base, can be programed. I'm sure that the larger HEI has that capability also. I'm not certain of this, but I think HEI dist can be run on non computer controlled also(???)

Also, BLKMGK (what do these initials mean??),

you shouldn't be "stuck" with using what an engine builder might be recommending for a dist. any of these dist, HEI or "standard" should work for almost any sbc engine over a broad range of years!! My 383 block started its life as a '72 Corvette 350.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by Fast Frog (edited August 30, 2000).]

Yes, agreed their are two HEI types. One large with coil in cap and one smaller with remote coil. I use the coil in cap as it's one less accesory to mount up and the larger cap that goes with the coil in cap model makes for a greater distr. post spacing to further prevent crossfire/arcing. HEI setups are not exclusive to computer models by any means. Just yesterday I picked up a billet Proform dizzy to replace mine with worn shaft/bearing etc. it's for 78-80 pickups and a host of other vehicles. If this was the only factor stopping me from 3/4" of setback I'd go with the remote coil. But on my 280ZX I already am lighter than stock and 50/50 weight balance and if I go any further back it could make in car access to tranny bolts almost impossible and I know it might make head swap/cam swap v. difficult if not impossible. Keep in mind I have the ZX not Z, I kept my stock hoodlatch but did have to grind a portion of its support (minor in strength issue) off on the pass. side to imprpove clearance on one plug wire (I do not run the 'wire cover' extra cap/cover some do, can't see the point, ever see an HEI terminal fly off? no, never!)

Beauty of HEI (and others I'd guess) is it's so easy to service/replace any part. I started out with a free dizzy and now have one with all new stuff (bought bare dizzy yesterdy and put my old (but fairly new) cap/crane coil etc on it)

quote:

Originally posted by Fast Frog:

There are 2 types of Hei Dist. A larger size-used on later model Vettes (and others I'm sure). This type has the coil as part of the dist. The "F" body type was used on '88 to '92 Camaro/Firebirds (and probably others) and is smaller and uses a remote coil. You can get it thru a GM dealer or thru JEGS-Accel, MSD, Mallory, are some of the aftermarket manufacturers. The "F" body dist is slightly larger than the standard (?) dist usually associated with a older carburated engine; therefore, not allowing you to set the engine back, per JTR, to the fullest extent possible-by about 1/4"-1/2".

Umm, so which is it? bigger or smaller for the F body? Remote coil isn't a biggie for me but I won't run a Mallory dist and I'm hesitant to run an Accel. I've seen folks get stranded with the Mallory on a Ford because it used parts that weren't interchangable with "factory" and had to be ordered. Accel I've seen bad out of the box - again with Ford.

I guess I just figure that if Factory stuff will work that's the way to go. Performance Distributor makes a nice HEI but it's coil in cap design - at least the one pictured. Do trust me though, I'm not "married" with what the engine builder sends me but I also am not hot on throwing away parts that work that are recomended by professionals.

We'll see - motor isn't here yet and I've got other stuff to deal with right now on the car (sigh). I would like to only have to mount the motor once when it shows up :-)

Guest Fast Frog

The "F" body is smaller than the dist that houses the coil within. But it is slightly larger than a non HEI dist (at least the one he took off the '72 Vette block). I have a GM "F" body dist purchased from a dealership and an Accel "F" body ignition module cause the oem modules poop out at around 4800rpm. I also have an Accel remote coil-40,000 volts I believe. Accel makes there stuff to be compatible with GM.

I've run this setup for almost 4 yrs with an MSD 6000AL without any problems from the aforementioned components. Yeah, I had to send the first Accel ign mod back to JEGS cause it didn't work; but the 2nd one has worked out just fine!

Much clearer now thank you! Although it'll be a cold day in hell before I run any of MSDs analog junk again since it was a cold day in hell when my last 6AL broke down on me. Can you say well below zero at 2AM in the middle of nowhere? Make sure you've got a backup system of some sort just in case - that's how I got home that night. (shiver)

Accel has never had a great rep in my mind but I talked to one of the guys who designed their digital stuff. He doesn't work for Accel - they outsourced it to another company - and it appears to be a damned good equipment. The new MSD stuff is probably good too but as you might imagine I'm a bit nervous about it :-) That was nearly a very bad night!

Appreciate the tip on the ignition module too - I knew the stock HEIs signed off early and am not sure what the builder will send me along those lines. Wish it would get here already! (smile)