HybridZ

Strange intake question?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Okay I've seen some nice EFI 302 but most of them dont have the aftermarket EFI intake Manifolds.. There using the Carb. manifold and drilling out boss ports for the injectors.. Is this a good choice. Would it save money, time, and would it be a lot cheaper with getting into the computer stuff. Does it have a better RPM range and or give more power. Just wondering because It doesnt seem that hard to do plus I have all the tools at my College. The only thing I could think of is that (depending on maniflod) is the cost plus they would have a higher red line but that would only work out if they change there valve springs anyhow. Does that sound right? Well if you were going to be changing your manifold what route would you take..

Thanks, Kenneth K

The kits out there that convert the carb intake to EFI are extremely cool looking, but I don't think they'll work very well for a naturally aspirated 5.0 engine. If you look at the better EFI intakes(performer, Holley GT40), you will notice that they have a large plenum area, and you will notice that as the plenum area gets smaller (performer RPM, Victor) the usable rpm range starts and finishes at a higher rpm. The carb style intakes have an extremely small plenum area, and would kill low rpm torque, but would be great for high rpms (above 6000). Unfortunately, the 5.0L is limited to less than 7000 rpms with the hydraulic roller lifters, and computer limited to 6250(unless modified).

All this rant is limited to NA applications, I know that many people are quite happy with these set-ups when combined with a supercharger.

I am using the Cobra 5.0L intake and 70mm TB. It provides great torque from 1500 rpms all the way through 6250, plus it is the least expensive intake that yopu can get (399.00 through Summit). Remember that what you want from your engine is a broad flat torque curve. It is the area under the torque vs rpm curve that counts :!: