HybridZ

smoking coil/spark trouble shooting

Guest raystorm280z

Guest raystorm280z

hi everyone,

ive been trying to fix this 240z that i saved from a towing company for the last couple of months.

when i first got the car, it had spark going to all the spark plugs. i should have left it as it was :roll: , but i replaced the condenser/rotor/plugs/cap/points.

weeks later while im trying to trouble shoot why its not starting, i find that the spark isnt at the plugs anymore. i go and check on the coil and theres no spark comming out of the wire connecting the coil to the distrutor cap. so i thought it was the coil was out.

i bought a used "good condition" MSD Blaster 2 coil off ebay (because its a very low budget project, being a poor college student is harsh) and intalled it in place of the stock coil, with all the wires connected, including the "the thing thats grounded and looks like a condencer and the white rectangle with the treaded shaft behind it (one of them, im assuming is the balast resistor).

so when i go to hook up the battery, the coil starts smoking. its a white smoke, that doesnt smell really like anything. crank the engine to see if spark is coming from the coil by placing the other side of the primary spark wire to ground, and no spark comes out.

has anyone experienced something like this? or any tips on what i should do to get my spark back?

im thinking that the coil is a dud, but then that doesnt really explain the smoke. could it be that i havent connected everything correctly?

as you can tell im not super car savy and initally i bought this car so i could learn, but at this point, i really just want to get it running. this car is driving me nuts :bonk: !

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

A smoking coil is a bad thing. I dont think you are going to get much info on how to get a car to run with a smoking coil. Perhaps the windings in the coil have been exposed to moisture and have rusted and are contacting eachother?

Guest oldZguy

Well now that you've let the smoke out of the coil it won't work anymore :) You're new coil is shot. I would suggest putting everything back the way it was with the old coil then:

1. make sure the points are opening and fully closing.

2. replace the condenser, I just had a new one go bad after a week. Hair pulling experiance figuring that out, hey it must be good it's new right? NOT!

As to why your new coil smoked, my guess is that a lot of these high energy coils are made to operate with electronic ignitions, they have a very low primary side resistance and often use 2 ballest resistors to drop the 12V down below 6, when you hooked it up in the Z it gets full 12V at start and that was just too much for it.

Lance

Guest raystorm280z

thanks for the help!

i guess its just another lesson for me: "you get what you pay for" :?

what im going to do is just get rid of the points and go with a whole new ignition set up, like the crane cam xr700 using the ps20 coil. hopefully then itll get her running :roll:

thanks again!