HybridZ

87 Monte Carlo SS 305

Guest Jason

I don't THINK it's got a one piece seal. The flywheel for it if I'm right would be the flywheel sold by Centerforce for about $200 if memmory serves.

I'm not sure a 305 would be my first choice but the accessories and brackets alone would be worth the asking price. I'd make sure that the power steering pump, AIR pump, and maybe the A/C compressor could be yanked and you still be able to run a belt if the accessories and brackets are a big attraction. That's a computer controlled carb too so don't count on using it unless he's yanked it for say a Holly carb.

hope that helps some. HP on those from the factory was below 200 I think - Mustangs used to walk all over them but I think the Monte weighed a bit more too.

The 305 isn't my first choice either, but I see it as an accessories package that also happens to move my car around.

I thought the 1 piece seal came on blocks 86 and up? I'd rather not buy the centerforce flywheel because of its weight, but I may not have a choice.

Guest Locutus

Since they don't make a blow proof bellhousing for the T-56(as far as I know), I would get the best strongest flywheel you can, centerforce is one of the best, it might mean the difference between you and walking the rest of your life or losing your legs when a flywheel lets loose. Just my humble opinion.

Mike

eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Man, I've seen what happens when a stock iron flywheel comes apart in an aluminum bellhousing. The aluminum bellhousing takes away maybe 1 or 2% of the energy of that flying shrapnel. The 22 gage steel of the Datsun Z tunnel would take away less than 5 or 10% (my guess) and your (and your passengers) legs would slow the pieces down a bit.

I knew a guy with a 57 steel body Chevy that had just spent a ton of money getting the rust out of the body, trunk, etc. and had it painted, then put a nice 283 and 4 spd in it.

The stock flywheel let go at over 6000 rpm, as best he could tell. It made a nice crater in the concrete highway, chopped the headers off like they were strands of hair, cut through the inboard sides of the huge thick frame rails and almost through the other side, went through the top of the tunnel and out the cowl panel in front of the windshield, and made huge holes in the sides of the tunnel. Since these cars have the pedals behind that area, the driver and passenger got to keep their feet and legs. By the looks of the frame rails, etc., they would have had at least one of their legs either broken or cut off.

NOT a pretty picture.

Hopefully Mcleod or some one else will start making blow proof bell housings for the T56. I have one that was made for a Muncie, etc. It weighs at least 20 lbs, maybe more than an aluminum bellhousing. But it's low and near the c.g., so in it went! I have my GM'd Tremec bolted to it. I guess a kevlar bellhousing blanket might work but would be tough to fit in the space.

Sorry to be so glum, but Locutus is right on this one and anybody that skimps on this phase ought to think about walking around on stubs or prosthetic feet/legs for the rest of their life to save a few hundred bucks.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@home.com">pparaska@home.com -

Some poor guy had his 87 Monte Carlo SS rear ended and is selling its carburated 305 with 82k miles. Considering it comes with all the accessories for $250, I'd like to buy it.

Does anyone know if this is an internally or externally balanced engine? I assume this is a 1 piece rear seal, although I haven't checked. I am trying to figure out what flywheel I would need for a T56 tranny.

-Jason

From what I've been told, the one piece seal 305's and 350's (LT1 included) share the same external balance weight. Knowing that, I just ordered a Mcleod street twin aluminum flywheel/clutch setup as part of a group purchase on a Camaro board. I know its overkill for a stock 305 and the light weight of the Z, but it gives me plenty of room to grow without fear of abusing the clutch. Mcleod also seems to have a pretty good replacement policy if you have any problems.

As for flywheel distruction, I was thinking of investing in some kevlar.

Yeah, but the central question is - was I full of crap when I told him it probably wasn't a one piece seal crank? Somebody school us here - when did Chevy make the switchover and would an 87 Monte have the seal he's looking for?

BTW - speaking of bellhousing explosions. The ITS car that I almost bought had a very neat idea done to it. In the area of the flywheel, welded to the body of the car, was some pretty thick steel plates! Obviously for flywheel protection, these suckers were BEEFY. This might be an option for those of us who've not found a blowshield yet. Blankets make me a bit nervous as they absorb oil if you aren't careful...

[This message has been edited by BLKMGK (edited September 01, 2000).]

Guest Locutus

It is my understanding that all 350's made after 86 were 1 piece rear seal, but I do not know for sure on 305's I am sure they did the change over to all of them in 86.