HybridZ

1/4 mile time predictions?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Okay... maybe I'm getting a little ahead of myself here (okay, not maybe...) but... getting my car back today, and now that I've had the motor almost completely rebuilt, my worries about pushing an 'unknown' engine are gone and I really want to take the car to the track. I'm getting the car back today, and of course, this is assuming the problem of smoke/oil burning has been solved... and dont worry I wont take it racing before properly breaking in the motor :) So anyways that's my next priority is to take it to the track and see what it will do... I want to keep a record also, run it the way it is with stock pretty much everything, then see how much faster I can get with my intercooler, better fuel pump and Megasquirt installed. Next mod after that will be better exhaust. My current setup is in my sig, I'll be running 9-10psi on it, on crappy 91 octane fuel and crappy bargain tires, and launching at 3000rpm slipping the clutch. I'm thinking of shifting somewhere in the 5000-5500rpm range... does that sound good? Oh and the car weighed 2280lbs before the turbo swap (I have to assume it's a little heavier with the turbo so say maybe 2320-2350). Assuming good conditions and if the drive it well, how fast do you guys think it would be?

Guest szlash280z

my 78 was running 6PSI of boost with crappy tires, and I ran 9.5 in the 8th. I think thats around 14.8 ish in the 1/4, your 240 is no doubt lighter with more boosties so you should at LEAST do lower lower 14's or even high 13's

Guest bastaad525

Should be about 500-600lbs difference... so half a second right there.. dont know how much difference the 4 extra psi would make though. One person with a really close setup was Jersey, well his setup was near identical back when I first started my swap... he's added some other stuff now... but when his car was 95% same as what I have now he ran a 13.3, but that was considered really fast for his setup. Haven't really talked to many guys on here who left their cars so stock :) So.. somewhere between a low 13 and a low 14?

Guest szlash280z

that's what I think. I tried my ass off when I went to the track, and I consistently got 9.5 to 9.7. I haven't raised the boost yet, so I don't really know what 9PSI would do. It's always best to underestimate your times, that way you might get a nice surprise at the end.

I'll let you know what the G-tech pro says after this weekend. I got it in yesterday and plan to test tomorrow. I tried it out on my Camry last night and it works really good. I believe my setup is very close to yours, altitude being the biggest difference between the two of us. I'm at 6400 feet.

:D

I only tried the hp measurement on the camry, its a V6, 195 hp says the factory. G-tech showed 155hp if I entered the right weight, that is probably true since the altitude will lose around 30% hp.

I just wanted to play with it, I didn't try 0-60 or anything, it was getting late. The camry should run a blistering 8.5 second 0-60. :shock:

Guest bastaad525

:D:D Camry... speeeeeeeed machine! :D:D

now... if I remember right, doesn't the gtech give approximate dyno hp? Like... hp at the wheels I mean, as opposed to factory rated flywheel hp? Also, I thought more modern, fuel injected cars didn't really lose that much power at higher altitudes, as the EFI can compensate for that, as opposed to a carb which cannot and needs to be tuned for it. Either way, that hp number does seem pretty close....

Guest bastaad525

szlash... easy... you plug it in your cigarette lighter and go... but be careful, when you hit boost the plug will pop out :-P gotta remember to clamp it in there....

Guest szlash280z

hey, when you want to push it off the cliff, just think about florida instead. push it down to florida to szlash's house and leave the keys and title there. REPEAT push it down to florida to szlash's house and leave the keys and title there with him... :D

I know that you know that I know that I was just kidding about that comment on the other post.

Guest bastaad525

It's all good man :) no worries... actually you had me LMAO with the whole thing about the cap :D and by the way florida is a bit too far to push to :-P

I have to say this... not that I really would do it... but it would ALMOST be worth all the money spent to see something as cool as a car plummeting off a cliff with my own eyes... would hurt for it to be a Z though.

Guest szlash280z

I would love to do it to a riced out honda though. if I ever win the lotto, I am going to get several ricer mobiles and destroy them in interesting fashions. why? cuz it would be cool!

Guest scottjuly79

My car ran 14.0 at 101mph with basically the same setup as yours (no vent hole in Grainger valve...whoops!) , and it weighed 2650lbs. with me in the car.

I think you should be good for mid to low 13's at a little over a 100MPH

P.S. don't forget to drill the vent hole in your grainger valve, not having it cost me 7 tenths and 5MPH in the quarter!!!

Guest bastaad525

Hot damn SEVEN TENTHS??? So your 14.0 would have been a 13.3 if you had drilled the vent hole??? I already got mine drilled... remember scott you had asked me about that a couple months ago, you didn't think it was that important :) but SEVEN TENTHS??? My car is a little bit lighter with me in it, maybe 50lbs or so... my plans for the track have been a little delayed though now that I've been snapped back to the reality that the car still isn't running so well... All the fuss over the bad rings and smoke let me forget that the EFI is still a long way from running right. POS....

I HATE the EFI on 280z-zx's!!!!!!

Guest szlash280z

you hate the EFI on YOUR 280ZXT! I like mine! Check out the wiring for the start signal, it was causing problems for a lot of people on here.

My heavier 280Z (2920lbs with me and 3/4 tank gas, before swap) with a stock 83 280ZXT engine ran a 14.5@95 on big balloony 205/15/70 touring car tires. (though the PO of the 280ZX put a threaded WGA on it and it does tend to run about 7lbs of boost, I was thinking that's about stock but unsure).