HybridZ

Anybody actually done the FSB/280 ZX N/A Swap?

Guest RunninOnEmpty

Guest RunninOnEmpty

Yes, moderator, I did many searches, found little info.

I want to do the SBF swap instead of the SBC, but almost all the info is for gen 1 Z's. My concerns are the steering box, the oil pan sump, and more fwd fire wall location. I'm not wanting to use a Fox steering nor U-joint in steering, nor am I willing to move the fire wall. Probablly can work around any oil pan problems.

Have I missed any show-stoppers? I like the weight of the SBF, but not sure this is the best swap.

John

I don't know of anybody that has done the SBF swap. The swap should not be any more complex than any other unique swap. Not all the ZX's had a steering box, so if you look for one with rack and pinion you won't have that problem. The rack is behind the crossmember, so that could effect your pan clearance, however the TC rods are in front of the suspension (instead of behind like the 1st gen) which should give you a little more clearance for exhaust.

Guest RunninOnEmpty

Aaron,

Thanks, I plan to begin the swap after the holidays. I'm not into the Chevy v. Ford thing and I'm considering the Ford because, though likely more expensive, it should be lighter. However, if it is going to involve massive cutting and welding, I'll have to pass. I do have a small machine shop (lathe, mill, etc.) so fabricating parts won't be a huge problem.

Guest RunninOnEmpty

Yes, I believe the ZX firewall is 3" farther fwd than in the gen I Z's, and that could be a problem. I may find I have to forget the Ford and go with an LT1.

Guest twdavis4400

Have u realy checked into building a ford? Ford bang for the buck is cheaper to build today the chev. can't remember where I read about it at but it was either Jegs or Summit. Check into it alittle more before u go with a chev. Like u said the wieght is better with a ford and placeing it is easy. All though u don't want to put a u joint in the steering. So in short to not have a u joint in ur steering u'll give up wieght and power/money. I'd put a u joint in my steering u don't lose anything from it.