HybridZ

BRAIDED HOSES/METAL WIRE COVERING?

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

I was at the Z show in NH last week, and I saw a number of cars with either braided hoses (often anodized colored) and or wire coverings.

Where do people get these? Are they a model specific kit? Do metal wires/stainless steel hoses work better/provide radio interference?

I would like to get these hoses/wires, to make the engine look better when I have a tune up done....as well am looking for higher performance distributor, rotor, wires, plugs (are Splitfires a joke or do they work better than stock?!).

Confused as hell-83 280ZX Turbo

John

eBAY!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33601&item=2437365263

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2436214579&category=33601&rd=1

The "real" stuff is airplane hose with braided stainless covering bonded to the hose and aluminum AN fittings. Earl's and Aeroquip make it, Jegs and Summit are re-sellers.

Mr. Gasket and Spectre make (or should I say re-package) the "cover only" which is probably not stainless steel. I think it it tinned copper wire because it does turn grey and loses its shine after a few miles under the hood. I think this stuff is actually electrical wiring sheild as is found in Coaxial cables (cable TV). It could also be the stuff they make ground straps (from the car frame to the engine block) out of. You can find it at most auto parts chains in the Fast-Furious-Chrome-simulated-Carbon- Fiber-Pedals-cover section.

It does dress up the hoses, but don't know about putting it on the spark plug wires. I always thought that a 25KV conductor should be on the INSIDE of the insulation.

Then again, if you want to put on a light show ..... :?