HybridZ

Supercharged L28 Project 2 (please read)

Guest 4.3L 280z

Guest 4.3L 280z

As I'm doing more and more research, saving money, and learning more about carbs I need to ask you guys some more questions. I'm wanting to do the blow through carb settup with a centrifugal SC pushing air into the carb. I can either get a modified carb(or modify it myself but I don't think I have the experience to do so) so that I can just run a carb bonnet to force the air into it. Or I can use a regular carb (not modified) and inclose it in a pressurized box. How is it supposed to be pressurized if I've got the linkage cable going out? Do I just have to deal with little leakage? Which of these settups is better? I would think the bonnet with the modified carb would be because of the slight loss of pressure with the box, but the box would be a lot cheaper, or are the performance differences very slight. The only modified carb I can find made for this is the 4150. What size carb would be best? I want to run more than 10psi(with an intercooler). Also if I go with the carb in a box Idea could I use the 390cfm holley I currently have? I've also read that when you supercharge a car like this the carb can be smaller. Also the fact that its a vacum secondary carb makes me think it would be a problem.

I know this settup has never been done before so I would like to try it. If you guys help me pull together the information it shouldn't take to long for me to pull all the parts together and see what it'll do. My knowledge of engines is pretty good but I'm kind of confused about what to do when the air gets to the carb.

I'll start off by saying that i dont know anything when it comes to superchargers. But i wouldnt think that building a box around the carb would be any problem. I would think that with a throttle (cable) you wouldnt have any leakage issues. Just drill a hole in the box and use that for you mounting point then maybe some sealer for the threads. I would also make the top of the box removable so you could service the carb ect with dismantling too much.

-Austin

Guest 4.3L 280z

Thanks, I looked all over the place for a site that showed how to modify the carb and couldn't find one. I'm waiting on a price quote on an already modifed carb from customcarbs.com just to see what it would be since it looks like I'm going to have to by a new carb anyways. He seemed to think I would need a 650cfm carb.