HybridZ

need some base opinions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi guys I'm new to the board. I'm 43 and have just relocated to Topeka, KS. I've had 4 Z's. A 77, 83, 93 and now another 77. I now have the time and income (if not as much room or know how as Id like) to create my DREAM Z.

I want to use a 280Z not a 260, 240 or ZX. The one I have is in pretty good shape but it has a sunroof, not part of my DREAM Z plan. I am considering keeping it for parts and buying another that is as good as possible rust wise. Being closer to Az and Tx type states now keeps me hopeful of locating a good candidate.

My brother (the mechanic) and I were watching a video I have from a guy that was selling a 78 with a 350 (nice job) in it and he noticed how much of a pain in the ass changing the plugs would be under the headers.

So finally - I was wondering if you guys can throw some thoughts out regarding the pros and cons on which engine to use now that I want to start seriously planning this out.

Thanks in advance. Looks like this place is going to become a second home for me.

Ken B.

You might have better luck trying a search. This topic has come up quite a few times. Dont choose a engine only based on pros/cons from others. The easiest swap will most likely be the one that you have the most experience (or your brother's experience) in dealing with. The knowledge of a particular engine will get your alot more then someone elses opinion of what makes a better swap.

The Ford, Chev and L28ET swap can all perform very well and are the most common swaps done. Myself I think the easiest swap would probably the L28ET into your 280Z. Your already setup for fuel injection and all the parts are a direct swap. If you dont want to go this route Chev is the easiest (thanks to JTR) and of course the Ford Route you have alsil's crossmember but the Ford conversion has little documentation so your more on your own (similar to other engines like RB26DETT etc....)

I think everything has come up before and the search function will point you in the right direction. Also you may want to read rules regarding posting same post in multiple forums and other rules of the site. They are located in a sticky thread in each section

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24335

Finally welcome to HybridZ!

Guest ScaryFast

If you are looking for a good car to start your swap , I have a strait 76' 280z with no motor, trans, or diff. If you are interested, I am located in Phoenix Az.