HybridZ

side marker control

Guest 73TPIZ

I have a custom wiring harness with my side markers currently connected solely with my park lights. I want my side markers to blink when my signals are on so i wondered if anybody new of the thingy (tech term) that makes that happen. i'm no electrical guru but i would guess it's some sort of normally closed switch that breaks contact when it receives input from the signal light on that corner (side marker blinks opposite of sig, when signal high, side marker off). i guess i'd run 4 to save on wiring (1 on ea corner). anyone have a part # or suggestion on how to find it. i guess i could find a normally closed relay and wire it in but there has to be something smaller than running 4-30amp relays.

thanks for any leads. the local radio shack guy was no help.

Go to the parts store and get a bulb holder that is for park/turn signal lamps. It will use the bulbs that have two filaments. The holder will have three wires (I think), 1 - positive for park, 1- positive for turn, and 1- ground.

To wire it the way you have it now....no idea.....

Tim

I think you could do it 2 ways...

You could just wire the side marker lights to the turn signal lamps. That way they'd flash, but they would no longer be used as marker lights. Make sure one side isn't connected to the other, ore both sides will flash.

The other way, to have marker lights & turn signal combination, would be to replace the sockets with ones for the 2-filament bulbs, then connect the sockets to both the marker light and turn signal light circuits. I don't think I would recommend this because these bulbs will get much hotter than the smaller, marker lights, and probavly melt the lenses. It might be a better idea to replace the side marker lights completely with some lights designed to do both things.

Thanks for the quick replies fellas.

After posting i thought of something else. the normally closed switch idea would work at night but not during the day. for that i would need a normally open relay that closed at signal input. to run both ways i'd have 40lbs of wiring at each corner :( .

I bet the brainbox for that setup is no bigger than a matchbox on the new factory cars.

there's gotta be an easy answer somewhere. I'll just have to dig harder.

thanks again.

Guest Carrman

On my 510, I followed a tech article on how to do just that. You have to take the ground wire for your side marker light, and splice it somehow into the hot wire for the turn lamp on that side of the car. You must use plastic screws to mount the sidelamp so that it can't ground itself. What happens is that the side lamp will find ground when the turn lamp is off, and light up. When you turn the turn lamp on, it puts positive current at both sides of the side lamp, and it goes out. This is what happens when the headlights are on, and side lamp flash will flash out of time with the turn lamp. When the headlights are off, turning on the turn signal sends postive current to the park lamp and it grounds through the side light, causing it to flash in time with the turn signal. This is how GM has done it for years.

Dave

My harness is home built w/ a twelve circuit fuse box from painless so i'll have to see if that idea will still work. after some thought, i realized new cars only have the front sides flash so you can be seen coming out of a side road. So i'll do mine the same way. just the fronts.

I'm shaving my factory side markers and will be installing custom flush ones in the sides of my front and rear MSA airdam bumpers. My front signals will not be visible from the side, as the factory '73's are, so i don't think it'll be too blinkity blinkity. at least i hope not.

thanks guys.