HybridZ

280Z Rear Anti-Sway Bar and Ron Tyler Diff Mount

I have a '77 280Z and used the Ron Tyler diff. mount. It looks as if the rear anti-sway bar may contact the driveshaft flange. I haven't mounted the engine and trans yet ('94 LT1 and T56) to measure for the driveshaft and verify if it will clear. I was wondering if anybody else used the Ron T. diff mount in a 280Z and if this is an issue of not. Do I even need to use the rear anti-sway bar ?????

- Joe

Just to let you know the fron sway bar will not do anything for your launch (installed or not) so I would'nt mess with it. My car has the fron bar on it and the back bar removed and I pull mid to low 1.9 second 60 foot times, but I am also using drag radials at 12 psi. In my opinion your going to be much better off using the proper tire than messing with your sway bars.

Dragonfly

I have no doubt it will hit the sway bar. With the stock mount and the larger Chevy u-joints it is very very close. The Tyler mount lowers the nose of the diff from the stock location for better V8 u-joint angles.

You can run without a rear bar or switch to an aftermarket rear mounted bar.

I'm having the same problem now that I have re-done my subframe connectors. Looks like I'll have to somehow fabricate something so that the front mounts of the rear swaybar sit lower. Not sure how I'll do this, but as I've learned in this project: "for every problem, there is a solution (though not always an ideal one)

Once again HybridZ proves to be faster than a 1200HP Z :burnout:

Thanks for the answers, :hail::hail: that pretty much confirms my suspitions. I thought about re-shaping the bar to put a drop in it so it will clear, or lowering the mounts. The rear mounted bar sounds interesting ..... then again I don't really need it ..... but it would be pretty easy to modify it ....... AHHHHH THE CURSE OF THE MODIFIER STRIKES AGIAN .........

- Joe

Well I figured out where my response dissapered to... I had made my above response for the guy who was asking about removing his front sway bar for better launches.

Now what concerns me is was it me or was it the computer??? Whatever, sorry about the wrong response in this post.

Dragonfly

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 350zgto

Dan can you give an example, brand name, etc of the aftermarket rear mount sway bar? I have the C/V clearance issue also. And does the aftermarket type attach to the transverse link? Thanks

Sorry, I don't know where you can get one. My car had one when I bought it. It bolted to the rear suspension crossmember. I know of another one that comes with new rear upright pieces that have provisions to mount the bar to. You might they Eric at Zparts. I know he had one of the latter types for sale a while back.