HybridZ

Turbo alternator in a 240

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

*sigh* and now for todays episode of "What will go wrong with the Z today?" It's like watching dominoes topple over... one thing happens then the next then the next. Non fuggin stop....

Alternator went out last night. Second one that has gone bad in about a month. So.. I suspect maybe the voltage regulator. I noticed, that both times, the amp gauge would never be consistent during driving, would bounce around every now and then, and before the alt finally went out, that the amp gauge would start bouncing around really crazy, getting way too high... it usually sets just above the half way mark, but last night it was getting almost all the way up (+45 amps) and then just bouncing erratically (never below midway though). I was using a 240z alternator with an external voltage regulator. I would like to switch over to the later, ZX style, internally regulated alternator. Now, a friend of mine told me this could be done, easily, but I never got the details from him. So I figured I could ask you guys... hopefully someone here has done this already. I figure... a turbo setup and computer.... would be best served by an alternator designed to put out that much power. Can anyone give me the details on how to do this?

I just hope that it IS the regulator... and not some botched wiring issue. I've already found enough wiring fuggups with this swap... it wouldn't surprise me

Guest bastaad525

Isn't it a different wiring setup? I got the impression from what my friend was trying to tell me that it would be? How do I set it up differently for the internal regulator vs. the external?