HybridZ

240z w/ 260 tranny problems

Guest petrol

Hey all..

I just have a quick one to ask. I just bought an L24 (w/o trans) from Jerry at All Z. My late '71 Z has the stock L24 in it. I pulled the transmission off of my original motor (with a 260Z style tranny for some reason), and then pulled the motor out...(I dont have a leveler, so I had no choice but to separate before I pulled the motor). The only reason I assume its a 260 trans is because of the way the shifter attaches to the trans...with a slide pin instead of a locknut. (at least thats what Haynes says) :roll:

Anyway, now that the new motor is sitting in the bay, I tried stabbing the trans and that thing will NOT mount up! I have a clutch tool, and everything lines up fine, the clutch tool will seat. The pilot bushing is fine, and the clutch tool is identical to my input shaft...so I cannot figure out what the he11 else is going on! (rah!)

Anyway, before I go rent a leveler, and pull it all out and mate the tranny outside of the engine bay...is there anything anyone can think of that might be hindering me here?

The reason I ask such a simple question is because on the WRX, for example, there is a slide pin you have to pull before the trans will come off or go back on...not very intuitive. :-D

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,

scott

I know I struggled with mating the tranny back up with the motor for about 4 hours one weekend. I refuse to mate them while one is still in the car now. I eventually got it, but after several choice words. The hardest part is being able to slide the tranny straight at the back of the motor. It needs to be perfectly lined up. I found that some angles would actually move the disc out of position, keeping the trans shaft from inserting the pilot bearing. Keep at it, it will go. Good luck.

Thanks for the liquid motivation. :wink: I will climb back under there one more time tonight and try again...maybe I will luck out. If not, at least its not a 100% pain in the butt to pull the motor back out at this point. But agreed, I will probably never do it in 2 pieces again.

Thanks again,

Scott

Guest oldZguy

I just slipped a 5 speed in this weekend, getting it in took about 5 minutes and it slipped right in! I would double check the clutch alignment. The tool I use has changeable pilot ends and slides through a centering device that allows you to really be sure that the clutch is aligned. I've had problems in the past with the one piece alignment tools being loose enough in the clutch or pilot area that they let you think you're aligned and you are not. If everything is right you should be able to slip the alignment tool back and forth through the cluch plate into the pilot with no interferance.

If you can get the input shaft of the tranny into the clutch you should be straight enough to hit the pilot bearing no problem. Make sure the tranny is out of gear when installing, though it will be stiff, the input shaft will be able to rotate while you weasle the tranny inplace. Hopefully you are using a floor jack to support the tranny, using the armstrong method can be troublesome and tiring!

Guest oldZguy

I wanted to say too that I was pulling engines long before that wonderful leveler tool came about, going to have to get one, one of these days! I just yanked a engine tranny out of a 280zx the old fasion way and it worked fine :) In this case lift engine, push car, lift engine push car, lift engine push car, buddy lifts tailshaft, I push car out of shop....

To install put the car on stands so you have some extra room underneath, slide a floor jack under and have someone man it. Lower the engine/trans combo at an angle to get the trans into the tunnel and drop the tail onto the jack, man one pushes and lowers the engine into the bay, man two jacks up the rear of the tranny while pulling it backwards. It's one of those things that if you do it a couple of times it goes quick and like clock work. It's easier than trying to push the car into the engine if you know what I mean. But then those leveler things would sure make things easy but what would my buddy and I have to talk about while we popped cold ones after a job well done! :)

Hahaha. good stuff. I guess I should try the slide/jack method before I go pop for a leveller.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys.. (hey, that rhymed)

-scott