HybridZ

T56 slave options

Tim240z

I could not find an answer searching the archives (didn't go back to the beginning of time though).

Is there an aftermarket solution for the t56 slave cylinder, that does not involve the oem rollpin attachment? I think that I am going to need a new slave (mine has been sitting on the shelf for 3 years now and I don't want to mess with modifying it if I can get something new that doesn't involve buying a master and slave unit from GM).

Thanks,

Tim

Thanks....I gave them a call, and they were of absolutely no help...blueoval stuff only....as soon as I mentioned bowtie, that was the end.....Maybe someone in the sandiego area has a t56 slave that they can drop by their shop with to see if anything they have will work?

Tim

Dan,

If my slave was known to be good, then, yes that would be a great solution, but if I need to buy a new oem one, then I believe that they are only available as a kit with the master etc....seems like a huge waste of $$$ if there is an aftermarket solution.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

Tim,

I used a tilton 3/4 inch master and the GM slave. Just used #3 line and fittings. I'm planning to switch to a hydrolic thro out bearing. This will get rid of all the GM plastic.

You can also use a T5 slave, it even has a bleeder valve! That's what I'm using with my T56, it works great.

Mike, that's what I've been waiting for!!! Can you tell me more. Is it direct bolt in? What vehicle should I use for ordering purposes?

Thanks,

Mike

You can also use a T5 slave' date=' it even has a bleeder valve! That's what I'm using with my T56, it works great.[/quote']

Mike, that's what I've been waiting for!!! Can you tell me more. Is it direct bolt in? What vehicle should I use for ordering purposes?

Thanks,

Mike

It is direct bolt in but, it still uses the GM roll pin end. So you still have to modify it per JTR, or get the Ron Tyler adapter that Dan suggested. Any GM T5 slave should work.

It is direct bolt in but' date=' it still uses the GM roll pin end. So you still have to modify it per JTR, or get the Ron Tyler adapter that Dan suggested. Any GM T5 slave should work.[/quote']

Ok so if I order say, a slave from a 5 speed camaro, Circa. 1990 to 2000, that will do the trick? Can a person buy the slave without buying the master (like the LT1 kit, which ONLY comes as a complete kit?)

Oh, and do you have a link to the Ron Tyler parts?

Thanks again!!

Tim

You know, I've got a T5 car and a T56 car in my garage right now. I never really looked to see if the slaves were interchangeable. I did the JTR mod on the T5. I'd never do it on the T56 slave, too little material left to be safe. If I were doing the T5 today I'd use Rons adapter on that too, just a better way to go. You don't have to worry about anything braking and if you have to replace the slave in the future it's a stock part that bolts in. You will need a GM hose to go from the slave to the adapter. We used the one that came with the engine/tranny and then added another 12" -3AN hose to get the rest of the way to the master.

Here's Rons e-mail address rontyler@earthlink.net

I'll see if I can get a pic of the part tonight and post it here.

Just for reference.....I have the master and slave and braided line from the Z28 donor. They have been sitting on the shelf for so long now, I'm sure that they are bad. Dan, what year and model is that T5 and slave from?

Tim

Man! Where were you guys last weekend when I drilled and tapped my slave!

Dan, where did you get that adapter again? Do you have contact info? Because, while tapping my slave, it cracked a little around the old pin location. Probably happened because I beat the pin out with a hammer and it was being stubborn. I haven't checked it for leaks yet, I may have to get another one and the adapter. Thunder racing sells the 2001 units, which I have/had, but ouch$!$!

mastercyl.jpg