HybridZ

Infinity M30 potential source of R200 LSD

zgeezer

In researching specifications for the 1990 Infiniti M30, two separate web sites stated that the vehicles came standard with limited slip differentials. These sites listed M30's commencing from 1990. I found one with a build date in 1989. This one did not pass my field test for LSD (elevate rear, lock transmission, and turn one wheel. If the other wheel turns = open; If c/n turn wheel by hand = lsd or trash.) However, it is a long nose R200 with CV. Rear suspension looks early Maxima or 280zx. If you jy shoppers see one it might be worth your time to check it out.

gw

• 2 weeks later...
Guest das280zx

I tried to do some research on this a while back. I found one in the junkyard, and could not tell if it was a viscous lsd (which is what they are rumoured to be). I took some measurements and it looks like you would have to get a new driveshaft, as it is a bit longer (just a bit). And I think it might not be compatible with the datsun half-shafts. I couldnt' figure out how to get the halfshafts off the m30 unit as they didn't just pop off like the zx turbo. Anyhow I dont' know how to confirm if it is vlsd without taking one apart, and I dont' want to spend the dough most wrecking yards want for an experimentation. Rumors are though, that it is a 3.9 vlsd.

• 2 months later...

I dissembled a M30 R200 today and although it is vastly different than a standard R200 open it is not LSD nor VLSD. The carrier is in multiple pieces as most LSDs and has 8 bolts that hold it together (not invloved with ring gear) but no clutch packs or VLSD unit was in it. I did take it all the way down (spider gears loose in my hand). When you look into the axle hole (with c.v. removed) you see a flat plate (not a rod as in earlier open diffs). It is also 1 inch longer (case) than any other R200 I've seen with an ABS sensor on the nose of the diff. The car was a 9/91 production date (listed as a 92). Maybe a 90 is different but I wouldn't purchase one untill I verifed it by dissembly. The axles came out normally but I had to use more force than I expected. It would require a custom drive shaft to install it in a S30 (early z). Buyer beware!

just to let you know.

ist only longer due to the abs sensor/or mph sensor.

Remove sensor and its back to normal length

i'm currently using one in my 86 300zx.

seems to "look" tougher on the inside than the standard r200.

but no lsd.