HybridZ

T56 to R230 I need the rear U-joint options!

maichor

Hey, motor is running, now I need to get power to the wheels. :D I am trying to mate and LS1 T56 combo to an Infiniti R230 differential. I have a Denny's driveshaft nitrous ready shaft I would like to use. I could cut off the Q45 u-joint assembly at the rear of the shaft and weld it to my driveshaft, but the driveshaft place told me that the Q45 u-joints are non-servicable. Is this true? Is there a servicable (i.e. You can replace it without cutting it off your driveshaft) unit that bolts onto the R230, say from a Skyline or 300ZTT? If so, how can I get my hands on one? I haven't found a 300ZTT in the jy yet.

I know Tim240Z runs an R230, Pete too? Anybody else? Thanks.

Project is a 1972 240Z w/ LS1 T56. Rear suspension is out of a 240SX with custom CV axles and an R230 from a Q45 and brakes from the J30. http://photos.yahoo.com/maichor75104

OK, I have some info for you (well sort of). I dropped my Z28 donor driveshaft off yesterday, and they have an off the shelf flange and u-joint (serviceable) for the R230. I will get you the part numbers tomorrow when I pick it up.

Tim

Thank you so much! I go through the same hassle just about everywhere I go. I go to the parts counter, tell them what I am trying to accomplish, and they always stare at me puzzled and ask, "What car is it for?"

I reply with something like, "The steering rack is off of an '86 Thunderbird, but I can't use the T-bird tie rod ends because they are too long. It is a custom setup. What I need is a 9/16" fine thread rod end that is about 3" long."

More puzzled looks . . . "What car did that tire rod come on?" Or, "Nope, can't do it." Or, "Can't help you unless I can look it up."

Anyway, you get the idea. My younger brother is a shift manager at an Autozone in another state, and when he was here to visit, he gave me answers. He pulled out the catalog, started reading specs, and we found several that would work. We checked until we found one that the store had in stock and walked home with the tie rods we needed. How come there aren't more guys like that? Anyway, my bro calls those guys computer monkeys.

The good news is . . . now when I walk into Autozone and ask for something they can't look up, they motion me behind the counter and say, brake fittings are here, or fuel fittings etc. It doesn't usually work to say, I need 1/8 NPT to #3AN etc. Anyway, thanks again.