HybridZ

Stub and halfshaft questions

Guest Grenade300

Guest Grenade300

Okay, I've been looking for information on this in the search for a few days now and also on the internet. Every time I think that I've got it figured out something confuses me. I just need to be sure that I have this setup right in my head. The differential connects to the halfshaft which contains the u-joint or cv joint. The halfshaft then connects to the stub axle. The stub axle has no u-joints or cv joints right but does have the wheel flange? What connects the stub to the halfshaft? I was looking at the cv joint halfshaft adaptor that Modern Motorsport offers. I looks like it connects to the end of the stub axle on the end of the flange. What does this change? Please help me out, I feel like such an idiot.

Look at it this way. The differential turns the axles through the stub flange (which is inserted into the diff), which is bolted onto the entire U-jointed halfshaft, which in turn is bolted onto a Companion flange which is bolted (with one large center nut on the end of the splined stub) onto the Axle Stub which turns or is bolted onto the wheel. The only difference between this and the CV jointed halfshafts is that the CV jointed halfshafts, and the differential stub are all built as one assembled part instead of two separate parts as with the U-jointed shafts.

The CV joint adapter you speak of simply replaces the OEM Companion flange (from a ZX) with a modified Companion flange from a Z (in simple terms while leaving out the details). This allows the use of the CV jointed shafts to be attached to the slightly larger 280Z stubs. The normal CV joint Companion flange will only bolt onto (actually it will only match the splines) a 240z stub axle. There are advantages to this adapter, but I'll not go into that here.

Guest Grenade300

Okay, then, if I understand you correctly, the differential stub comes out of the differential, then the u-jointed halfshafts bolt to the stub flange on the end of the differential stub, then the other end of the halfshaft connects to the stub axle through the companion flange, and the stub axle connects to the wheel.

When you use the cv shafts, the differentisal stubs, stub flange and halfshaft are replaced by a single piece that has cv joints instead of u-joints.

The adaptor just connects the cv halfshafts from the the 280ZXT to the stub axles of the 280Z.

Thank you for the info. I was getting the stub axles and the differential stubs confused, see where that could cause a problem.

Guest Grenade300

Thankyou for the info Blueovals, I know it may have seemed like a stupid question, buy I have not taken my suspension apart yet and I wanted to know as much as possible before I did. I appreciate it. I also just wanted to say that I looked at your photo page and I have to say that you have the best looking Z I've ever seen. Nice work!!! :rockon: