HybridZ

Brake lines and fittings

I have a few questions for those of you who replaced your brake lines. I did read a thread that everyone was talking about adapters for using SAE fittings on the metric switch, etc. and was just wondering if I have to go this route or can I use the metric fittings on 3/16" line. I have just about all of my brake lines bent and have half of the original fittings.

Another question, is it nessacary to have a double flare or will a single flare stand up to brake pressure.

Mark

Is there a source that you know of for the metric fittings? I have been to four of my local parts store and none of them carry or can order the correct fittings. I have found the adapters but would rather use the correct size fittings. The only thing I can find is pre-made lines with fittings on them, and at $4 each it just isn't cost effective. I would like to replace all of my old fittings as well.

Mark

You should be able to find the fittings at a NAPA store. If not get the pre-made lines and bend them to shape. You can cut the pre-made lines, re-use the fitting and only need to flare one end. I got pre-made lines from both NAPA and Pep Boys. If they don't have the lines or fittings, look in the phone book for a hydraulic shop, or call a place that sells heavy equipment and ask them were they get the lines repaired. I got a double flare tool from Sears, and a bender at a Carlisle show. It took some practice, but it wasn't to tough.

- Joe