HybridZ

Exhaust gas sensor

Guest Hotwhlz

Guest Hotwhlz

My exhaust gas sensor just came on yesterday. Is this the same thing as an O2 sensor in later model cars? What does this sensor check for and when it lights does it indicate just one problem or are there more than one thing that could activate this sensor?

That's what I love about a Z, I fix one thing and another pops up.

:shock:

Thanks for the help,

Ron

Guest Hotwhlz

From searching zcar.com I found out that this sensor is factory set to trip at certain mileage increments (every 30,000 miles). There was debate over whether there was a reset button or not but everyone agreed the warning light did nothing more than remind you to check the exhaust gas sensor (and if you're gullible enough, pay the dealer to reset the light for you). The two most common ways to get rid of the light were:

1)remove the bulb from the instrument cluster

2) (and the easiest to do) on the passenger side, remove the panel with the light in it (two phillips head screws). There will be a fairly large group of wiring bound together towards the right side of the compartment. One of the wires is green and yellow and has a butt connector that can be disconnected. Disconnect this and your light goes off.

Mine had been disconnected but I reconnected it while changing out the speedometer. When I put everything back together the warning light was on. Two days to find out what it was, two minutes to fix!

8)

Ron