HybridZ

Rough Estimate on Bare Bones Z8?

Guest Mateo

Ahhhhhhhhh! John, Next thing your gonna say is there really isn't a Santa Claus or Easter Bunny :) ! Bust my bubble why don't you!

John's right. Remember the 240's are 30+ years old, traveled across the Big salt water corrosion infested Pacific to get here. At that time didn't even have very good shipping containers or corrosion resistent coatings.

Wed-

Well looked at the black Z.

Talked with the owner. Seems like I got lucky. He is desperate and wants the Z gone since he is moving to Arizona. He originally wanted $7500 :shock: but we worked him down to $2750 8) not bad but I still think that we coulda got it for lower. A plus side is that even though I wanted to do some of the restoration work myself the guy works at a local dealership body shop and did some already. Can you say bonus?

Specs:

72' 240z with a brand new paint job because the guy who is selling it works at a body and paint shop

140+k miles

4 speed Manual

280zx wheels

Twin carbs

Black air dam unknown manufacturing

Custom rear bumper with a patch work, but has originals

Rust is here and there but doesn't look that bad

Battery tray has been worked on due to the guys job

Runs!!!

Interior wise...

Dashboard is cracked(How to fix that?)

Passenger seat is PERFECT

Driver seat is ripped

Carpet needs replacing

Needs just a good cleaning

So do you think this is a good deal?

That sounds great! You did good. You can have alot of fun with a 240. The guy works at a bodyshop could be good. But also can be bad since he can do a good job of covering things up. Since it was his car figure he repaired the body rust the right way. New paint job is a real plus.

Cracked dash can be fixed easily with a dash cover (around $69 to $89).

Since you are not restoring it back original you can buy a pair of Mazda Miata seats for around $100 bucks. They feel great and some even have stereo speakers in the headrest. Then sell the good Z seat on e-bay or here.

Buy carpet from J.C. Whitney for around $90 you may also reinstall padding and sound deadener, examine the floorpans and firewall from the inside.

The fun is just starting...

Good Luck

I noticed around the gas cover area that some rust was just painted right over, but I think that can be fixed or just ignore it since it really isnt that bad.

Decided to get the car tomorrow, but before that going to look at it one last time really good to make sure there aren't any serious problems that will kill the car(and me) later. Im so excited. The car is driveable so I think I will redo the interior first, drive the Z around in its inline 6 glory, and then move on to the good ole 350(skips away like a giddy little school girl :D )

Matt

(pics coming soon)

Guest Lee Smith

Good morning Matt

I am Lee Smith on hybridz, zcar, zdriver & my real name. I live in near Fort Dodge, Iowa.

The 78-82-83T should be on zdriver. I haven't checked for a long time.

I have been playing with the Zcars for only 4 years. I have reconditioned & sold 3, 78-82-83T.

7 have been through my shop, 76-77-78-79-80-83-83T. 3 parts cars, 75 & 2-84s.

The 77 is getting a V8 & I am thinking nitrous on the 80. The 75 is still here, parts for the 77.

The rest have been sold to support my hobby.

It is a fact that when the 280ZXT came out in 1981, it was the quickest production car except for the Porsche 930/911 Turbo and a few other exotics. It blew the doors off everthing Detroit had to offer, as well as the other Japanese companies. This was in the era of the smogged down Corvettes and Trans Ams. Nissan was smart enough to beat the smog laws with fuel injection and to bump the power with a turbo thrown into the mix.

The above I found on hybridz.

Last year, 02, I had a 78 5-spd that was running RIGHT & a 83 T AT.

The 78 na was almost as quick as the 83 T, to 85.

The 78 seemed to have a higher top end at 1/2 mile. 115 in 4th, no more in 5th at 1 mile.

The 78 only had 86K, 180# on all cyl. The 83 160K, 150# on all cyl.

Nobody said anything about a compression test.

I do a comp test, before I buy any car over $200.

A comp test only takes 15 min.

All cyl should be within 5#.

All of the na cars have had close to 180# on all cyl. Even 1 that had 150K.

The T 150#. I think new, the na's was 185#. the T's 155#.

If the car your looking at is not close to the above = less $$.

Lee

Well got some good news and bad news. First the good. GOT THE CAR :D:D:D Oh its so nice, handles so well, got some imperfections here and there but its 30 plus years old, understandable. Paint is just beautiful, turned a few heads 8) Just wonderful(tear). :D:-D:):?:( Now the bad news: no V8 swap. My family ran into some unforseen financial problems and looks like Im going to have to go with just rebuilding the I6. *sigh* But Im happy still, maybe if I pull more shifts at work, I could get my hands on a V8 in say...2 years.

Pics in a few days once I get a hold of a camera.

Proud Z owner,

Matt

Hey, If you want something with as much power as a V8 don't overlook a Turbo! Yea baby! Want a power that pushes you back in your seat! Just start keeping an eye out for a 81 to 83 280ZX Turbo for cheap. So you can do an engine swap in that 240. Man feel the power! Start reading the posts in the turbo section of Hybrid to get an idea. But enjoy what you got for right now. Read and do your homework and you'll find serious power in a 280 ZXTurbo take my word for it. I've upped the boost in my 280ZX turbo and its night and day difference from stock. Your car is about 700 lbs. lighter! You'll read about guys doing high 12's in a 240 or even 280 Z with a 81 to 83 280ZXT engine switch (along with larger TB, I/C, larger injectors basicly cheap upgrades for the power you achieve).

Just something else to think about! Remember your just starting. Don't just jump into anything. Look at all your options. Be Patient. If you want a Turbo you can find them for $400 to $1500 in the paper. Just be patient!!!!

Buddy, it sounds like you did good! Trust me - this is the best way to do it. Drive it stock for a while and get used to it, then you can always modify the fool out of it later! :-) Be prepared to get approached by lots of folks at gas stations, all saying the same thing - "My dad/uncle/girlfriend/etc had a car just like that!" It'll make you feel like the belle of the ball. :-D

Scott

Matchew~!!

What's up, man? I've seen this post before and even after I went down and saw your car, but it didn't click till just now that it's you (you know me :roll: )

I tell you what, my digicam has taken some pretty nice pics before, especially for what i payed for it (35-40ish). I'll get some batteries here in a few days and run down there. You guys wouldn't believe how pretty this car is. I love the paint on there. And listen to Len, I'd love to see you put that 280ZXT Turbo in there. You can smoke Derek's car with it(Of course with him driving, I could take him in my pickup :P )

Un-funded by my parents, I'm still on a quest for the money to by a cheap Z. So in the meantime, you should come down the street and give me a ride sometime :-D

Later - Michael