HybridZ

Need LT1 insight

Welcome.

It's a fairly easy conversion. There is a kit that you can use. Look here:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html

Get the manual and the kit from that site.

Also read this (if you haven't yet): http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24170

Use the search function (either from the 'search button' on the top of the forum page, or from the home page-if you want to search all forums).

If after searching you have specific questions, fire away.

Tim

Guest BigWhyteDude

get the JTR book, read it, read it again, read it again, and then start collecting parts for doing the swap. Make sure you know what your getting your self into. it wont be all that hard if you konw exactly what your doing so read everything you can abut it first. Good luck to you. if you do go with it get all the go fast stuff done first and of couse the brakes need to be upgraded. good luck

Andrew

I have completed this swap and would reccomend the following:

Buy Jags that Run Latest edition.

Purchase the Engine, wiring harness and tranny as a unit if possible!

Put all the wiring in to a new fuse block GM Style.

Be sure to include budget for Brake upgrades and coilover suspension with heavier sway bars.

Pay particular attention to any opportunity to reduce weight during the swap.

The end result is sweet!

How Heavier does the front end get with this swap?

Not much, especially with the engines that have aluminum heads--we are talking a very very little bit of weight gain on only the front wheels. There will be a moderate gain of 150 lbs (?) overall if I remember correctly, maybe less. I'm too lazy to look it up right now, sorry. JTR book includes that stuff--buy it.

Davy

The JTR book lists about 150lbs weight gain with an "old style" 350, ie cast iron heads, intake and exhaust.

The aluminum head LT1 should be about 60 - 70 lbs lighter because of the heads and intake then if you use headers you save a little more, so an LT1 install should only gain about 70 - 80 pounds, some of which ends up on the rear wheels.

I'm in the process of pulling an LT1 from a Caprice cop car right now which has the iron heads so it will be closer to an "old style" 350 but I'll be using headers and the intake is already aluminum so that will help. Eventually I'll replace the iron heads with aluminum but I want to get it running first then pull the engine and tranny and rebuild both.

Anyway hope this helps.

Ken W.

If you relocate the battery to the back and use the Camaro plastic/aluminum radiator, I think that the weight will be very close to stock and better, because the weight is further back (setback of the engine and the V-configuration is shorter).

Tim

My car is lighter than stock due to all the modifications made during the swap.

Lighter but higher performance brakes.

Battery moved to back and smaller lighter.

Radiator aluminum, Electric Fan, Lightweight Billet Steel Flywheel, Aluminum driveshaft.

etc, etc.

Approximately 2550 lbs with fluids.

Balance 50/50 front to back.

do all lt1's have aluminum heads? ive been researching the lt1/t56 swap and datsun stuff, but not too much lt1 research. (besides performance stuff like new heads and cams and headers valves and manifolds and nitrous and tbs and stuff)

B-Bodies are the Caprice, Impala SS and Buick Road Master. They have the iron heads and a milder cam. Rated at 265hp and 330ft/lbs torque.

Not all Caprices have an actual LT-1, some have an L-99 which is a 265ci baby LT. I don't know if the Road Master uses the smaller engine.

Ken W.